Prior Note

Hello, world. I'd like to start this out with some prior information. First and foremost: this poetry book deals with a lot of potentially triggering subjects. This includes talks about depression, suicide, paranoia, rape, molestation, and some other subjects I may not have mentioned. As I said, it is talks, not the actions themselves, so if even hearing of these things might disturb you, then take this as your warning to go... as well as a comment from me: I am sorry for your pain and you will get through this.

With that out of the way, let's get into this.

I'm going to write about a special and stigmatized subject called Mental Health; most specifically what happens when you hit rock bottom and survive. While this is a poetry book, I will also be adding information prior to each poem. This means before each poem, I'll write about what I experienced or who I met, then the next chapter will be the actual poem. So Day One will be my experience and the next chapter, Day One: Fear, is the actual poem. If you want to skip the stories and go straight to the poems, feel free to!

And if you haven't guessed what the information is about based on the title... well...

I was placed in a Psych Ward for 12 days over Christmas. My heart pounds just writing it because I fear embarrassment and shame just for stating it, but state it, I shall. Because I want others to know that a trip to a Mental Health Hospital or Unit is nothing to be ashamed or afraid of.

Side note: if you are considering harming yourself, if you've stopped taking your medication, or if you just feel you need help, contact your therapist, a hotline, or just walk into a hospital nearby and ask for help. Don't wait until it's too late and again, don't be afraid or ashamed.

That being said, I was absolutely terrified myself, as you'll see in the future! So it's understandable. Once I was in the Psych Ward, however, I spent probably 75% of my time coloring. So as an added cute little touch, I'm going to attach a photograph of a picture I colored during my time. Try not to make fun of me too much!

Random disclaimer: I didn't create any of the coloring pictures, just colored them in. Also, all names have been changed besides my own for privacy's sake. All patients mentioned have given permission to be in this work. Everything is true. Nothing is false.

If anyone has any questions about Psych Ward life after reading this book, feel free to ask and I will try to answer to my best ability. Let's start with the hardest day. Day One...

 Day One