Chapter 9

Sam's POV

We pull up into the church's parking lot, and it's completely full. We got here late, because we went to my client's boutique to find something for Yemi to wear. She came up with this plan that we can use the barter system as her way of paying me back. I agreed on it, but she doesn't know that I'm not going to follow through with it.

I look at the new pencil skirt hugging her thighs as she hops out of my truck. I decided to just have her drive it, since V's car is too low for me to get my leg in comfortably. I learned my lesson yesterday, after we left from the hospital.

I open my door just as Yemi approaches me with the wheelchair. She tries to help me out, but I quickly brush her off. After I catch her rolling her eyes, I think about what V told me yesterday. So, I gently grab her arm to stop her from walking away. "I apologize."

She nods as her attitude slowly escapes her gorgeous face. She stands there patiently, watching me pull myself into the wheelchair. Good thing I work out every day, because getting in and out of this wheelchair is taking a lot out of me.

I roll myself towards the church as Yemi walks beside me; both still haven't said more than two words to each other since we left the boutique. We go around to the side entrance where a ramp is, and mannn... I don't think that was a good idea. We walk in right on the side of the altar, where the whole congregation can see us. It feels like time is frozen as I glance at everyone watching Yemi like a hawk.  I didn't think about this before, but now that I see this... maybe having her here wasn't smart. The women here are like vultures. It took me about two years to get them to realize they couldn't get through to me. So for them to see Yemi here with me... it's about to get real catty up in here.

___

The congregation stands as one of the pastors approaches the microphone with the choir singing low in the background. "May the Lord bless you and keep you," he announces.

"Amen," the congregation responds in unison.

And like clockwork, the women who witnessed the incident yesterday swarm my way. Usually, I just keep it pushing. But this wheelchair is slowing me down. And since I lost sight of Yemi, she can't help me escape either.

"Looking for your girlfriend?" I hear Tevin teasing and Jamie laughing.

"Yo," I shake my head in relief.

"What's up man?" Tevin responds

"I heard about yesterday. How're you feeling?" Jamie asks.

"I don't even wanna talk about it. Y'all see where Yemi went?"

Tevin turns my wheelchair around where I spot Yemi talking to this guy named Brandon. A feeling instantly comes over me, and before I can hide it, Tevin stands in front me, blocking my view.

"You must really like her."

I wave him off. "Yo, I'll check y'all later." I start wheeling myself towards Yemi, but the pastor stops me right in my tracks.

"Brother Carter!"

"What's up, P?" I'm eyeing Yemi and Brandon as the pastor sits on the steps next to me.

"Sorry to hear about yesterday."

"It's nothing."

He follows my glare before chuckling. "That must be the woman we talked about."

I quickly look at him, now remembering what he said to me the day I met Yemi. "P. I think you jinxed me."

He lets out a belly laugh.

"I'm serious. Right after I met her, I ran into you and you told me you felt God was sending someone to me. Ever since then, I can't shake her off. No matter how hard I try."

"That's because you can't block what's yours."

I think about his words for a minute as I look back at Yemi. I see her giggling, and I'm ready to pull her away from 'ol dude. If she gives her number to him, then I know for sure she's not the one. I low-key hope she's not though. I probably would hurt her if we were together.

"Brother Carter?" The pastor pulls me out of my thoughts. He smiles, looking back and forth between Yemi and me. "I know what you're thinking, right now. Like I said, I know you better than you think."

"What am I thinking then?"

"I'll just say this. You better get your woman away from Brandon."

I laugh. "You remind me of my pops, man."

"What would your father say about you thinking you're not good enough for her?" He nods his head towards Yemi.

Damn, did he just confirm exactly what I was thinking? That's crazy.

"Alright, Youngblood. I'll see you next week." We dap each other up as he stands up on his feet.

"Aye P. Keep this between us, alright?"

He chuckles. "Of course."

As I make my way to Yemi -- who is still talking to that lame ass Brandon -- Ms. Patty approaches me. "Hey handsome." I nod at her dismissively. "You should take my number. I'll come by and take care of you." I shake my head, but I don't know why because I shouldn't even be surprised.

"Yo, if you really want to help me... you can wheel me over there to her." I point at Yemi just as Yemi and I make eye contact.

Ms. Patty rolls her eyes, and then walks away. I see Yemi patting Brandon's shoulder, while still looking at me, before leaving him there looking stupid. "What's up Brandon?!" I say to him sarcastically, just in case he needed confirmation that she's here with me. He nods, looking mad salty as he watches Yemi approach me.

"You have a large fan base here," she jokes.

"You should see them at the prison. But umm... you wanna get something to eat before we go home?"

"I would love that."

Please comment/vote/share.