Chapter 25

Sam opens the passenger door for Yemi, and then holds her hand as she steps up into his truck. He closes the door behind her, before walking over to the driver's side. He shakes his head, smirking to himself. Realizing how gentle and caring he's been with her lately. She really has him open, and it's starting to grow on him.

He hops inside and starts the engine, before making eye contact with Yemi. "Do you feel comfortable skating in a dress?"

Yemi beams. "As in roller skating?"

He nods.

"Sammmm. You really were listening that night."

"Of course."

She throws her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. A moment later, she sits back in her seat, turning her head towards the passenger window, and then shakes her head to keep from speaking.

"You're alright?"

She looks at him and nods, trying to force a smile with tears in her eyes.

Sam grabs her hand, and kisses it. "I know it's not going to be the same feeling you had when you went with your mother. But hopefully, you still have fun tonight." Yemi can no longer hold back. A tear falls and Sam stops it with his thumb. "Should we just go another night?"

She shakes her head vigorously, clearing her throat. "No... this is perfect. I'm just... I'm happy." Her eyes start to water again. "You make me happy. Even when we weren't on good terms, you- you really did make me happy."

"What?" Sam chuckles. "How did I make you happy when I wasn't talking to you?"

"You gave me a place to live, and you never once tried anything with me. That alone gave me so much peace."

He nods, understanding her reason.

"You also made me feel like I was the most beautiful woman in the world. Not like in the normal way- but in the way where... you really saw me. All of me. It's like you studied me or something. I don't know- it's hard to explain." Her voice starts to choke up.

"I just know it made me feel happy that I got to meet you. How you looked at me, made me remember who I was before life started kicking my butt. And because you made me feel all of that, I know for sure that tonight..." She stumbles over her words, trying to hold it together. "Tonight's going to be more than just fun for me. It's going to be memorable." She smiles. "It already is."

Sam leans closer, reaching for her lips. He starts to suck on the bottom one, romantically. Yemi caresses his face as he continues sucking for a moment.

Sam releases her lip and gazes into her soul, causing Yemi to blush. "... I plan to always make you happy."

"Do I make you happy?"

He nods. "You're like a breath of fresh air."

Yemi tilts her head in awe. Sam breaks their stare, playfully slapping her thigh before switching the gear into Drive.

*

30 MINUTES LATER

Sam skates backwards, effortlessly to the song Before I Let You Go by Frankie Beverly and Maze. He holds his hand out, waiting for Yemi to catch up to him. Yemi grabs his hand and keeps up with his pace.

Sam glides behind her, holding her waist as they dance around the rink. Yemi blushes, moving her arms and clapping her hands to the beat of the music.

As Sam reaches back for her hand, he twirls her around, bobbing his head to the song. He guides her body to form a figure 8, continuously switching sides with each other. After a few times, Sam goes back behind her. His body language is relaxed like we've never seen before. Being in this moment with Yemi is definitely his happy place.