3. One Word

🦊 F O X 🦊

Wren appeared out of nowhere and bum-rushed me at the front door as I was shedding my winter gear.

I had just arrived back home with Bryce and Zane from one of our two weekly visits into town for our doctor visits. We were super late getting in because Zane needed to have touch up work done on the mural tattoo, that I love so much, of the three of us on his back.

Wren shoved a notepad in my hands and looked to be on verge of crying.

What the hell?

I pulled him into me, hugging him. "What's happened, sweetheart?" I hummed in his ear. "I know you're always happy to see me, but even this is a little extra for you," I chuckled lowly, trying to ease up the tension in his stiff back with humor.

"He asked for you specifically," Wren yelped out, his warm breath on my neck causing goosebumps to erupt.

"Who?" I questioned.

He pulled his head back to look me in the face, letting my arms slide down his toned back encasing his sinewy waist, our hips pressed against each other.

Looking directly in my confused eyes with his red-rimmed blue ones. "Aiden," he whispered, twisting around while reaching with his one arm to grab the notepad that I still had in my hand that was wrapped behind his back.

He held it up in front of me so I could see it. Only one word was scrawled across the page. Fox.

Huh? Why would he write my name in a notepad?

I dropped my arms from Wren's waist and turned, taking a step towards the temporary room that Aiden was staying in until he gets strong enough to walk up and down the stairs comfortably.

"Wait!" Wren called out, gripping my wrist to stop me from taking another step away.

"What?" I whipped my head back to Wren, my brow raised in question.

"He's sleeping...we think...and there's more...something might be wrong," Wren took a deep shuddered breath, letting it out slowly, blinking back tears.

What the fuck is going on?

I looked past him to Bryce and Zane, "Do either one of you know what's going on?" I asked them.

They both shrugged their shoulders, frowns appearing on their handsome faces.

What the fuck!

Bryce reached out to me, "Come here, love," he beckoned me over to him, arms outstretched.

I slipped inside his strong hold, my chilled nose and lips lightly touched his warm neck, I breathed his scent in deeply, instantly calming my rapid heartbeat down.