chapter nine

My mind had been somewhere else the past few days, but it was back. I was reminded of this when I went to science class with Edward. Mrs. Miller was going on about how presentations would be starting tomorrow.

My heart started to pick up.

I was not ready to get in front of the class and present. I mean I get anxious when I take a test. Doing anything with school makes me nervous. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and knowing that I would almost certainly mess up in front of everyone fueled the fire of my worry.

In . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

Out . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

I saw Edward looking at me out of the corner of my eye, but I couldn't focus on him right now. I couldn't even focus on what the teacher was saying. I'm definitely missing something important because I'm anxious. The mere thought of this made me more anxious. It was almost impossible to calm down.

In . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

Out . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

Nothing.

I had to try and think rationally. If I couldn't calm myself down, even a little bit, I would have to walk out of the classroom mid-panic attack, catching the attention of every student.

I looked towards the door. Maybe if I could take a few deep breaths I could calm myself down enough to ask to go to the bathroom before the worst of it comes.

In . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

Out . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

Again, nothing.

The longer I thought about it, the more I doubted my plan. My voice would crack if I were to speak at all right now, but I couldn't just leave.

While I was trying to think of a new plan, I saw a flash of blonde hair in the small window on the door.

I tried to ignore this distraction and focus back on my breathing.

In . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

Out . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

In . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

Out . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4

This time I could feel myself calming down. I was calmer than I've ever been after freaking out like I just was. This was different. I felt almost completely at ease in a matter of seconds.

I don't know what changed, but I could think more rationally about the situation.

I would work on the presentation tonight and practice until it was my turn to go. I could go over it in my head throughout the day to refresh myself.

For a second, I felt everything fit together so perfectly.

Everything was going to be okay.