Chapter 14

Cynthia (AL.I.C.E-2968442)

When I opened my eyes, I was staring down at a plain white table. I shook my head and looked up. I was sitting in a chair in a small room. Across from me, on the other side of the table, sat a man. He looked at me and smiled. He was bald and short, with a round face. Even with his insignia I could not tell what model he was. Curiously, he also had a spade shape on his left cheek in addition to his insignia on the right. Unlike the General's star, I did not know what that indicated. Still, I felt like I had seen him somewhere before, somewhere recently.

"Oh, good, you are awake. How are you feeling, AL.I.C.E-2968442?" he addressed me. How long had I been out? How long did he wait here for me to wake up? What was going on?

"Where am I?" I took another look around the room. It was plain white. I looked down. I was back in an everyday uniform. Come to think of it; I had not changed before leaving. What had happened to those clothes? I never returned the ones Ren loaned me. Would he be mad about that?

"I suppose you would be confused. You see, I am here to assess your state before reintegrating you back into society. We need to be sure you have not been affected by the beasts down below, after all." He spoke in a gentle and inviting tone. There was no hint of malice in his voice, but something felt off. I think it was that his brow looked slightly furrowed as he spoke to me.

"You don't have to worry. I haven't been affected negatively," I tried to reassure him. He seemed to wince as I spoke to him. I am not sure why he did. Before speaking again, he regained the twisted friendly look he had before.

"Well, my dear, that is for me to decide." I noticed I was slouching and sat straight up in the chair. I would need to look my best to impress him.

"Very well. What would you like to know?"

"Good. Now, AL.I.C.E-2968442, or do you prefer I call you something else?" he asked. Honestly, I had gotten used to being called Cynthia at this point.

"No, that is my model code after all," I lied. I hoped he could not tell I was lying.

"Hmm."

"If I may ask, what should I refer to you as? I am afraid I am not familiar with your model?"

"Ah, yes, I was a test run model. There were only a handful of us ever produced. You may call me Ace." That was an odd thing to call him, but I would not bring that point up.

"Good to know you, Ace. Is there anything else you would like to know?"

"Oh yes, there is plenty I would like to know. Let us see. Why did you go into the beast's city?"

"It was an accident. I fell down a hole and didn't know how to get back." That was sort of true. I could have tried to climb back once I reached the bottom, after all.

"Hmm. Well, what compelled you to venture into the city and even stay the night? Surely you could have attempted to climb back up."

"I was afraid I would get lost in the mountain."

"I see, and what of the beast the General reported seeing you with? It seems he even tried to fight our dear General in hand to hand combat. I suppose it speaks to the intelligence of those beasts down there."

"Oh, he was nobody."

"Nobody?"

"Nobody."

"I see. Well, please wait here a moment. I will return shortly." Ace suddenly got up and left the room. I sat in silence for a moment. I looked down at my wrists. I was not being restrained, and I could get up at any moment. I stayed seated. I had to pretend like I had not changed in any way. I had not changed, and I did not know why they would think that.