XXVII: "Summertime"

[June 10, 1950]

Summertime had finally arrived. Evelyn Bellamy was back in town on the first of June to take pleasure in her break and to attend her childhood friend's wedding. Months had passed since Bobby proposed to Ethel; she said yes, as he wrote in a letter to Evelyn:

Dearest Evelyn,

My plan worked; I brought Ethel to the fancy French restaurant you've always been too afraid to go, and as it turned out, their Coq au Vin wasn't too bad. I popped the question right after we ate the hors-d'œuvre, and it was as good as it gets.

My parents agreed for the wedding to happen in Summertime; since everyone would be available by then. Having a wedding in the summertime sounds marvelous—except for the sweating under the tux.

I've packed this envelope with a little gift for you—I am forever in debt for your kindness, but I hope this will do for now.

Enjoy your gift and the rest of your day.

Your Zealot,
Robert.

Evelyn held onto the necklace that was excellently draped on her neck; the elegant infinity symbol hanging on the chain was twiddled. She gently brushed her thumb against the diamond-encrusted surface; she was ironically fond of the harsh texture, and how they glimmered under the sun.

As the woman drove into the familiar town, she inhaled and exhaled the warm summer breeze and bathed herself in the sunlight. She sighed in relief as she thought about Bobby; she had less than a week before the wedding happens. Though she had had dinners with him along with his family, she wanted to spend the last week just between them — like the old days. But at that moment, she focused on running an errand for her mother; they were inviting the Kennedys over for dinner, once again.

"Mama, I got the groceries." Evelyn shut the door to her home. A few steps forward, and she could hear several familiar voices in the backyard. Feeling curious, she immediately placed the groceries on the countertop and investigated the situation.

"Since my mother had no one else to take care of her— and being the only child, I had to do it. I told the principal but he didn't buy it; he said it was an excuse and expelled me!" A blonde man was deep in his storytelling moment; his voice was boisterous and expressive as he motioned with his hands. "That's not right at all!" Evelyn's father slammed the palm of his hand against the table in frustration. "I know, but I was relieved at the same time; I have more time to spend with my mother now." The man responded with a faint smile on his tanned face. Evelyn stepped into the space; approaching him from behind. "Evelyn, you're finally home," Julia exclaimed eagerly. The man turned around to be exactly who Evelyn thought. "Mike... is that why you weren't at college?" The woman implored without a greeting. "Evelyn... yeah, my mother is ill and nobody could take care of her." Mike rose from his seat, wiping his greasy hands on his shirt; he had been eating buttery croissant Julia had made.

"I've missed you!" Evelyn yelled out before slamming her body against the man; hugging him so tightly that she almost shoved him backward. "I'm sorry I didn't think of writing you a letter; I got so occupied with her." Mike caressed the woman's back; calming her down with his touch. "I don't care. You're here now, that's all that matters." Evelyn buried her face in Mike's broad shoulder. "Aw, look at you two." Julia sighed in a way that almost made her sounded jealous. "We were like that, too!" Maurice mumbled as he analyzed the couple's movements. "Sorry... I didn't mean to get so emotional." Evelyn was weeping and it was obvious in the way she dragged her face on Mike's t-shirt. "It's alright..." The man swept the hair that cascaded on her face.

"Mike, do stay for dinner! Ted would be delighted to see you here." Julia persuaded the young man in good spirits. Mike hesitated and thought hard about it before he shifted his gaze toward Evelyn again. "Sure, Mrs. Bellamy. Thank you." He grinned gratefully at the older couple. "I better prepare the food. As you know, there are a lot of mouths to feed tonight." Julia lifted her eyebrows while nodding her head. "And I'll help her." Maurice threw his thought in. Though they weren't slick at making excuses to give the young lovebirds some space to themselves, Evelyn appreciated it.