XX: "Finale (To Love)"

"Thanks, Ted." Evelyn placed her hand on Ted's shoulder, the boy could feel the warmth of the grip on his body. It was as gentle as the waves of a calm sea, and though the thing Evelyn was about to do will come to a crescendo in any way but calmly — she looked peaceful. "Ask him everything, Eve. Leave no stone unturned." Ted had confidence that Bobby wouldn't be able to run now, not when a woman like Evelyn knows she's being played. "I will." Ted was taken aback by the smile on the girl's face as she spoke.

The smile on Evelyn's face did not originate from happiness or yielding abdication, but it was the feminine rage inside her; the wrath that only comes once in every woman, the kind that wouldn't budge with reasoning or excuses any longer. It was a definite end to Bobby's hope of continuing their relationship furthermore. When Evelyn found herself ascending through the stairs yet again, she sensed a crack slowly forming in her heart — in her gentle, loving heart. Then it winds up knocking her onto her knees, the pain and the agony drained her of her energy to go on. They've shared too many secrets of the world for it to just expire like this. Finally, she lifted her head to see Bobby's room was empty. For a moment, Evelyn felt a kind of relief in her chest, she could breathe. But as she descended the stairs, she heard Rose calling out to her children, announcing dinnertime.

"Evelyn? I didn't know you were here!" Jean grabbed the girl by her shoulder just as she was about to exit the house. "Jean, hi. I was going to see Bobby, but he's not home, is he?" Evelyn tried as hard as she could to hide the strained voice, the mucus in her nose — she sniffled once or twice during their conversation. "Oh, you know Bobby, he rarely eats dinner anymore. He's on the roof, looking at the sunset, I think." Jean had a wide smile on her wonderfully sculpted face.

"Ah, I see. Well, I'll be going up, then." Evelyn couldn't stand looking at Jean's cheerful face, her positive aura collided with her opposite one. "Wait, Eve—" The slender girl reached out for Evelyn's wrist. "Join us for dinner, will ya? And get Bobby's ass down here." Jean gently caressed Evelyn's face for a short second before making her way back into the kitchen. She left the younger girl pondering alone at the entrance.

Evelyn took the same path to find the route to the roof. Fingers of the night would soon surrender the setting sun. The girl had always hated the mist that comes when twilights do, the atmosphere was always unreasonably sorrowful. The sound of the sea could be heard, unwavering waves and gawking seagulls coincided along. It could not have been more forlorn and dreadful for the damsel, even her love and peace had no power of aiding the poor ambiance she was enwreathed in.

"Hey." Evelyn greeted the boy with such genuine enthusiasm. Nobody could ever guess she had such a vigorous, fiery soul that was glowing inside. Bobby turned around, a camera, and a cigarette in his hands. "Smile." He did so as he looked at the girl through the camera, he captured an image of her. "How did I look?" The girl walked closer, Bobby had his eyes on the silver Leica IIIC, he moved the knobs to its default positions. "It's dark, but something in you glowed." The man stared lovingly into Evelyn's eyes, his eyes were an antonym to the color; it was warm and gentle.

"It's been a minute." Evelyn dropped a hint. She leaned on a sturdy shaft, arms crossed as if she was prepared to go into it headforemost. "Yeah. Sorry about that, honey." Bobby randomly said, he trod carefully on the roof to get closer to the sun. "Didn't think you'd ever call me that, honestly." Evelyn enjoyed the moment before the imminent disaster happens. Bobby chuckled, his head turning at Evelyn, "Heh, you've changed me." The pure and simple response created a dilemma for Evelyn; was it Bobby's intention to hurt her, or was it actually planned by his father who dictates everything? "Have I truly, honey?" She spoke airily despite the shrouded feeling of bitterness. "Yes, honey." Bobby slipped the camera down his large pocket.