|03|

Barre

     When Salsh lifts his snout to the wind, I know that he's discovered something. The rain slices down around us, but he's still able to uncover scents lying underneath the wetness.

      "Go." I order a one word command that he knows well. He pads through the underbrush in a hurry, leading me to the prey.

      I sling the bow off my back, pulling a long arrow out of my pack and loading the string. The coarse feathers tickle my fingers as I move forward in anticipation.

      I'm on guard, moving slowly and quietly to not scare off my victim. One glance and a Lilarc would run the other way. They are skiddish creatures. I have to be careful.

       I look ahead, seeing that Salsh has stopped in front of something. I spot a small flash of movement, the scent of blood wafting to me, and I pull my weapon up to my face as I take aim. I must be quick.

     Whatever it is, it's injured and cannot run. My rasler has it cornered, huddled inside a tree pathetically awaiting its death. I will give it what it wants.

       I squint, holding my arrow at the ready, seconds alway from shooting, and that's when the little thing moves. Long, red strands of hair come into view. I pause. My weapon remains firmly in my grasp.

       What have I discovered?

      I have never seen a creature with red fur.

      Curiosity gets the best of me, so I lower my bow and arrow, slinging the thing over my shoulder once again as I make my way to whatever this thing is.

       The first thing I notice is that Salsh is wagging his tail in excitement, which is rare. When I step into the scene, I look past my pet to discover something I never expected. A female.

       My steps falter. I stand as still as stone, my muscles tightening in alarm as I drink in the sight of the tiny she.

      She's huddled inside the base of a tree, her clothing wet and sticking to her trembling frame. She clutches at her body, rolled into a tight ball of shivering limbs. I can barely see her.

      When she spots me, she whimpers.

       Her sad green eyes are filled with tears, and she stares at me with so much fear that I might choke. Her hair is dampened by the rain, but I can see the strange color of it from here. And her pale face is speckled with brown flecks. She must be covered in dirt.

     I cannot believe that this is happening. I knew the capitol had females, but why is there one here? On my lands? Injured and alone?

      My chest constricts at seeing such a beautiful, helpless creature. She is so small. I remember when female Rytarians walked the planet. They did not look like this tiny thing before me. But she is not Rytarian. She is a "human".

      I feel my throat burn, my heart thudding erratically. She does not look away from me.

      "Are you... are you alright?" I murmur, too afraid to get close out of fear of frightening her off. She needs medical care. I stare vehemently at the tear on her forearm, red blood pouring out. Her blood is red. How odd. Red hair and red blood. Unheard of.

     She doesn't respond, and I wonder if she has no translation device. I do not have one either.

     They are not necessary in the woods, and they would break often when I was a gladiator. I have no way of communicating with this perfect being.