→ 𝐈.𝐈

ACT I
CHAPTER I

do not trust the odds 

LIKE ALL PEOPLE in non-career districts, the Jardin family has always had a distaste for the reaping day. In their eyes, the day didn't serve anything and it made the district where they live, district 9, feel cold. Today the reaping for the 72nd Hunger Games would take place in the afternoon. The Jardin family has lost many relatives; Verrill's only sibling Aimée Jardin, Verrill's 2 uncles, and many other family members which make Verrill's family the only Jardins left in district 9. On the mother's side of the family, one of her cousins went to the games and the rest of her family died either in a little rebellion against peacekeepers or because of a plague that swept over district 9. So the only living members of both sides are the Jardins who luckily already have two daughters surpassing the age limit for the reaping. Only the youngest two can still be forced to participate in the Hunger Games.

The family of 6 are like every family in the district preparing to go to the reaping on the square. The oldest daughter, Sadiya has invited her boyfriend Clément Sol over. His family is already safe from the reaping, so he is here mostly to support the Jardins whose fears to lose one of each other are still very real. The best clothes are pulled out of the closets and after a quick goodbye, the youngest two are sent towards the square so they are on time.

Latif wears a nice polo shirt and Thana a simple yellow dress. Out of all the siblings, they have always stayed the closest; from playing comrades to working together on the fields. They don't need to talk to have a conversation and there is blind trust between the two of them. The two are as thick as thieves and have a standing promise: "Partners in crime till the end, forever together". They were used to the blood pricking before you had to stand on the square waiting for the escort.

"I love you little brother," Thana smiles giving Latif a hug after being told where to stand.

"I love you as well," Latif says patting her head slightly not to mess Thana's hair up.

With that, the siblings were separated and the last bells before the reaping started to signal that it is all going to take place. Like all the years since Latif has been reapable, he and Thana lock eyes during the video and speech. The nerves start the rise around the square when district 9s escort August Weatherly stands up to walk towards the microphone. Then the big clocktower connected to the main square makes the stroke of the clock 4 times, signalling that it is 4 pm. The reaping of district 9 is going to happen and broadcast throughout the whole of the Capitol life.

"Happy 72nd Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour," August says with a smile, if he would look good at the square he would see a lot of trembling in the people and he would be able to smell their fear. "And like always, let us start with the boys."

August Weatherly has always started with the boys since he has become an escort, maybe it has something to do with the fact that he is a man? District 9 is one of the only districts with a male escort, only district 5 has a man as well.

As August reaches the bowl with boy names he stops. His hands float just above the name carts before he decides on a cart on the very left side of the bowl. He takes it out and walks, though it more looks like strutting, towards the microphone. Thana and Latif still have their eyes locked and tears threaten the fall out of Thana's eyes as August takes his sweet time.

"The male tribute of district nine is Harl Fairbrook!" August sounds chirpy as muffled screams are heard out of both the section with the 14-year-old girls and the sides of the square. The boy, Harl, steps out of the 16-year-olds section and is being escorted by peacekeepers to the podium. A single tear drips down Harl's left eye as he takes his place next to August waiting for the girl tribute of his district, district 9.

"Wonderful," August smiles brightly, "now to the girls."

Even with the relief felt by the Jardin family, the nerves start to build up there again for the possibilities of what still can happen. Again August takes his sweet time strutting to the bowl with girl names in it. But he is faster with the name drawing, he puts his whole hand in it and blindly takes one out before walking back to the microphone. The tenseness is visible in the arm muscles of Harl as the 16-year-old waits for his possible ally of the enemy.

"The female tribute of district nine for the 72nd Hunger Games is Thana Jardin!" August says as chirpy if not chirpier than with calling Harl Fairbrooks name.

It takes time for Thana to realise her name is being called, seeing as her face is pulled up at the sound of how her name was pronounced in the Capitol accent. Latif notices immediately and silent tears run down his face as his sister slowly leaves the 17-year-old ranks to be escorted by peacekeepers. A new set of muffled cries can be heard as Jamilla Jardin-De Nahas clamps herself on her husband whose hand is taken by his daughter Zahra who links her with Sadiya. And Sadiya is in an embrace with her boyfriend Clément. They form a physical bond, a great contrast to the other family members. Latif is crying all alone and Thana reaches the podium to stand next to August.

"Wonderful," August exclaims again with true happiness in his voice, "now shake hands the both of you." Both Harl and Thana reservedly shake hands with sad expressions.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the tributes from District 9 for the 72nd Hunger Games!"