Let's go to Mazar (1)

Mullah Mohammad Jan is  an exciting love story of a young poor man who falls in love with a girl from a high class family. during the reign of the Timurid king, Sultan Hussein Bayeqra (d. 1506), Herat flourished in the arts, poetry, mystics, musicians and a variety of polymaths. Two of the greatest scholars of this era were the prime minister, Amir Ali sher Nawayi (d. 1501) and the prolific writer, Abdul Rahman Jami (1492). The title of the story comes from the song 'bya ke burem ba mazar, Mullah Mohammad Jan' one of the most popular songs in Afghanistan. 

It was naw-roz - new year's day, the first day of spring. poets, scientists, men of learning, officials and other noblemen and gentry had been given an audience to the court of the great monarch. they waited eagerly to offer their congratulations to the ruler and participate in the naw-roz celebrations. the curtain lifted as an aide announced, "His imperial majesty, the great monarch, Sultan Bayeqra!" 

Silence filled the great hall. everyone stood up as the great timurid monarch entered, accompanied by his wise minister, Ali sher Nawayi. As the king sat on his throne, Abdul Rahman Jami, Herat's great poet and scholar, rose to his feet to present his Naw-roz congratulations. he recited a sonnet which he had written for this occasion. 

Towards the end of the ceremony a noblemen announced that the graduates of Gawhar Shad School were waiting to enter the court. the king's face beamed as the graduates came and offered their respects to the monarch as he presented awards to each one of them. one student with a heavy beard and a long robe attracted the King's attention. he asked for his name. the young graduate bowed and said, "your majesty, my name is Mohammad jan and I come from Guzargah-e-sharif." 

The king presented his award and smiled, "You are already a Mullah. you should be called Mullah Mohammad jan." 

He bowed again and said, "this is a great honor for me, your majesty." 

Following this, Abdul Rahman Jami introduced Ghafur Lari who wished to mention a pamphlet he had written recently. after receiving permission from the king, Lari stood up and said, "Today is the first day of spring, the first day of the year. since the immemorial, the people of khorasan have celebrated naw-roz. Ever since Sultan Bayeqra was the minister of Balkh and the tomb of Ali (ra) was discovered in the village of Khairan, i have wanted to write a pamphlet about Ali's body which we believe was brought here by the order of Abu-Muslim Khorasani. as we know, naw-roz corresponds with the occasion of Ali's succession to the caliphate of Islam. and when the people of Balkh gather on the plains of Khairan to celebrate the day, the entire area is lush with green pasture and fire-red tulips, i thought it would be a good idea to present this pamphlet to your majesty." 

The king praised Lari and ordered him to present his pamphlet. Ali Sher Nawayi and other Balkh historians also commented on Hazrat Ali's tomb in balkh. then Lari presented his work entitled, 'the history of Mazar-e-sharif.' (the noble tomb.) 

The audience praised the king and the author for his valuable work. at the end of the ceremonies, Ali Sher Nawayi suggested that the people of khorasan should learn more about the tomb of the caliph of islam in balkh. "Every year when people celebrate naw-roz, we shold organize caravans to visit Balkh and observe the flag-raising ceremony. this will encourage everyone to pray for the nation's prosperity and well-being." said the minister. 

Everyone agreed that the following year a caravan should travel from Herat to Balkh to celebrate naw-roz at the tomb. it was on this occasion that they changed the name of the village, Khairan, to Mazar-e-sharif. 

The devout and religious in the audience hoped that they could be part of the caravan of pilgrims to Balkh the next year. Mullah Mohammad jan who was standing quietly in a corner of the great hall, also cherished the hope of joining the caravan the next year. 

On the first Wednesday after Naw-roz, known as Char shanba souri , the young and the old of Herat made their way to the open meadows. this celebration has come from the ancient Aryans, who would celebrate this day. a tradition in this ceremony is to drop a coin into a clay jug and break the jug. rooted in the traditions of the ancient Aryans, legends say that they would fill their jugs with grapes and other fruit and food to keep safe and edible during the long winter months when everyone rested. when spring arrived and the jugs were empty, people would break them as a way to announce the end of winter and resting. 

Mullah Mohammad Jan left his home, Gazargah, to go to Takht-e-satar, where the souri celebrations were held. dressed in his new robe that the king had gifted him, he stood near the Qaranful springs, saying his prayers. he stayed there for a long time, not participating in the celebrations, but just spending his time with the water and himself and offering prayers. he started teaching at Gawhar Shad school, and his visits to the spring became more frequent. 

one lovely day later that spring, as he left the school, he subconsciously made his way along khiyaban road, longing to reach the springs where he could refresh himself from the fatigue of the day. 

He had just left the village cemetery when a group of girls and women made their way past him, returning to their hamlets. he hastened his pace towards the spring when he noticed a soft white scarf flapping in the breeze. It gently landed on his face. 

Mohammad jan held the scarf, only to realize it belonged to a women. The scarf's soft and pleasant fragrance overwhelmed him. Just then he heard a soft voice exclaim, "That's my scarf. the breeze blew it away." 

Turning around, he saw a beautiful girl stand in front of him, hand held out. He looked up, and their eyes met. she had beautiful eyes, black as the night sky and adorned with Kohl. She had long black hair, as black as her eyes. his heart skipped a beat. She was looking back at him. he smiled, and she smiled, looking down. 

to be continued...