Chapter Seven - Outside

"I never loved you."

. . .

You woke up with a start, thinking you overslept, but your phone said the time was only four in the morning. Groaning, you flipped over to face the back of the couch. You couldn't sleep in your bed last night. Not after...

You clamped your eyes shut, trying to block out your thoughts. You focused on the tapping of rain on your living room window. You heard your heating unit click on and begin to hum. As you fell back asleep, the humming turned into the sound of wind whipping around you. Your stomach knotted and you couldn't breathe. You were falling rapidly, the pressure making your body feel like it was flattening. All you could see was black.

Suddenly, you stopped. You were on what looked like a giant pillow. There were stars everywhere, as if you were floating in the night sky. You turned to the side, and Ocean was lying next to you. He didn't have his straitjacket, but he was dressed completely in white.

"Y/N," you heard him say. He leaned over, so close that you could feel his breath on your face. "Can I kiss you?"

You blinked twice, and you were met with the dimly-lit ceiling of your townhouse. The butterflies in your stomach lingered for only a second. The rain outside was becoming louder, and you silently hoped that your socks would be safe on your walk to the hospital.

The rubber soles of your rain boots squeaked as you walked to the locker room, hanging your umbrella up, a stack of paper towels under it to catch any dripping. You switched shoes, leaving the rain boots in your locker.

You approached Dani with an innocent smile as a courier left the front desk. She raised an eyebrow at you.

"Dani, can I ask you something?"

"Go for it."

"Can I stay at your place tonight? I kind of got broken up with. Just for one night," you rattled off all at once. She gave you a pitying look.

"I'm sorry, Y/N, I'm doing renovations, so I'm not even staying at my place. But, you could probably stay here if it's only tonight. Or, y'know, you could just book a hotel like I did."

Outside of Ocean's room, you saw that he wasn't awake. You took out your phone, texting Andie to tell you when he was done packing. Dr. Monroe had agreed to let you sleep at the hospital, but he told you that he wouldn't be around to help you with anything after eleven.

Your phone buzzed. 'I'll be done by tomorrow night', Andie's reply read. You tried to send back an 'okay', but he had already blocked you. You dropped your phone into your pocket, and you suddenly felt like crying again. You looked up to see Ocean, watching you from the window. You smiled at him, giving him a small wave. He frowned in response. As you went inside, he sat down on the bed, waiting for you. As soon as you took a seat, he moved over to you and rested his head in the crook of your neck, nuzzling you like a cat. You blushed, thinking of the dream you had that morning.

"You look unhappy. Was it the b... boy- boyfriend?" Ocean asked, stumbling over the last word. You felt internally proud that he could say it without being triggered.

You nodded. "He's not my boyfriend anymore. I'm okay, though, Ocean."

"Don't lie, Y/N," he said, an almost unnoticeable edge to his voice.

"I'm sorry," you said quickly, realizing your slip-up. "I'm really, really sad about it. I loved him- at least, I thought I did."

"Did he lie to you and hurt you?"

"...yes," you answered quietly, not wanting to admit it.

"Then you don't need to love him."

"I don't think I can stop. I don't know where to put the love I had for him. I mean, I could get a cat or something."