Chapter Fifteen - Henry (2)

"Make sure your patient knows, and pretend to be interested in me. We'll just see if I'm the next to go."

. . .

You wanted to brush off your strange encounter with Henry, but his words, spoken almost too surely, weighed on your mind. You couldn't help but do some digging on the internet, which led to the discovery that Henry (last name undisclosed) was suspended from his position as a police investigator after being deemed mentally unfit. What was the real surprise, though, was that Henry had gone to one mandatory counseling session under one of your coworkers, who had also worked with Ocean.

That led you to where you were now, standing outside of Dr. Peter Daigle's office, your hand hovering over the door. You just had to go in and ask about Henry, but what would your reason be? You were still searching for a convincing answer when the door swung open and Dr. Daigle stood in front of you, an eyebrow raised. You quickly dropped your hand and cleared your throat.

"Oh, um, Pete, hey," you greeted awkwardly. He eyed you, confused.

"Uh, hey," he answered. "What are you doing?"

"I was just about to knock," you explained, laughing nervously. "What- what a coincidence, right?"

"O-kay, well what did you need?"

"I think we should talk inside," you said. "I want to ask about a patient that you saw recently."

After a few minutes of persuading, Pete agreed to tell you about Henry under the pretense that he never confirmed whether or not Henry really existed. This hypothetical patient Henry, as he said, was certain that Ocean had something to do with June's death, and that he was suspended because he did not stop investigating what he believed to be June's murder when his chief had ordered him to. He had told Pete that he was willing to do whatever it took to prove Ocean's guilt.

"It's a bit far-fetched, but I kinda get it, you know?" he finished.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, Ocean's still... not non-violent, and he had a verbal disagreement with June the day of his death. Come on, Y/N, you have to understand why Henry suspects Ocean."

"It doesn't mean he's guilty, though," you said, in an almost offended tone. "Henry's obviously experiencing heavy grief right now. That's what the counselling is for."

"I know, but...." Pete trailed off, a conflicted look flashing across his face. "I overheard that Ocean's getting discharged."

"What? From who?"

He chuckled, as if he didn't believe it himself. "Dr. Monroe."

"No way, really?" Your eyes widened involuntarily.

"Yeah. He was saying something about it being a special circumstance, I think."

"Special circumstance?"

Pete only shrugged.

"Special circumstance meaning that he'll be released as long as you still take care of him as his doctor," Dr. Monroe had said when you went to ask him.

"Oh," you started in relief. That was basically a regular discharge-

"While he stays with you."

"Wait, what?" you blurted.

"I think we should embrace how close you and Ocean are."

You flushed a little in embarrassment. What was up with Dr. Monroe's sudden change in attitude? "Dr. Monroe, with all due respect, I don't-"