THE DRAWINGS

A few minutes later

A few minutes later. Jack is being detained by the burly Master at Arms, the closest thing to a cop on board. He is handcuffing Jack. Cal is right in front of Jack, and furious. He has obviously just rushed out here with Lovejoy and another man, and none of them have coats over their black tie evening dress. The other man is Colonel Archibald Gracie, a mustachioed blowhard who still has his brandy snifter. He offers it too Rose, who is hunched over crying on a bench nearby, but she waves it away.

Finally there is Emma who went looking for him, she's wearing a large maroon sweater tucked into black trousers. Cal spares her a curious glance, but Cal is more concerned with Jack. He grabs him by the lapels. "What made you think you could put your hands on my fiance?! Look at me, you filth! What did you think you were doing?!"

Emma knows what happened, for she had come across the scene whilst searching. She gets ready to defend him but Rose beats her to it. "Cal, stop! It was an accident." Cal looks at her with rage, "An accident?!" "It was... stupid really. I was leaning over and I slipped." Rose looks at Jack, "I was leaning way over, to see the... ah... propellers. And I slipped and I would have gone overboard... and Mr. Dawson here saved me and he almost went over himself." "You wanted to see the propellers?" Cal says suspiciously. Emma laughs, "Women and machinery do not mix." She turns to the Master of Arms, "I saw it, quite the heroic action." She turns to Jack,  "Wasn't that the way of it?"

Rose is begging him with her eyes not to say what really happened. "Uh huh. That was pretty much it." He looks at Rose a moment longer. Now they have a secret together.

Colonel Gracie smiles, "Well! The boy's a hero then. Good for you son, well done!" To Cal, "So it's all's well and back to our brandy, eh?"Jack is uncuffed. Cal gets Rose to her feet and moves.

Cal rubs your arms, "Let's get you in. You're freezing." Cal is leaving without a second thought for Jack.

Gracie stops him and says lowly, "Ah... perhaps a little something for the boy?" Cal nods, "Oh, right. Mr. Lovejoy. A twenty should do it." Rose looks at him, "Is that the going rate for saving the woman you love?"

"Rose is displeased. Mmm... what to do?" Cal turns back to Jack. He appraises him condescendingly... a steerage ruffian, unwashed and ill-mannered. Then turns to Emma who is picking at her nail. Quite the looker on the eye, more clean but the same ill-mannered. "I know." He turns to Jack and Emma, "Perhaps you could join us for dinner tomorrow, to regale our group with your heroic tale? I can see you are already acquainted with that young lady so bring her as well. What is your name?"

Emma looks up at him in confusion, "I'm Emma Thompson, pleasure to make your acquaintance." "Ah well then, will you two be joining us?" Jack looks straight at Rose, "Sure. Count me in." Jack says at the same time as Emma says, "Alright."

"Good. Settled then." Cal turns to go, putting a protective arm around Rose. he leans close to Gracie as they walk away. "This should be amusing." Jack turns to Emma, "Can I bum a cigarette?"