Chapter 18- Joyous Occasions

***

"What-What did you just say?" I whispered out.

"I am with child," She repeated with a smile, kissing my cheek.

"From last nights-" She glared at my dumb self. "That wouldn't be possible. The doctor said that it has been a few weeks," She corrected and still in a daze, I leaned forward to hug her. She chuckled at me, her hand stroking the back of my head while I buried my face in her chest.

Of course, now that I think about it, it all made sense. Honestly, it's a surprise that it took so long since we would make love nearly all the time.

But, she's really pregnant right now. With my child.

What an unbelievable coincidence, after I had just been talking to all those old men about my nonexistent heir. It wasn't going to be nonexistent for long anymore. Because I was going to be a father and just like in my dreams, Ria would be the mother of my child.

"Are you sure?" I leaned back to ask and she nodded her head.

I'm going to be an amazing father, I will raise this child to be just as, if not more, stronger than me. He will be one of Rome's greatest Emperor's, I will make sure of it. And if it's a girl, then she will get just as much love, possibly more.

"I love you," I whispered.

"I love you too," She replied.

Now, with this child, Ria will no longer try to run away from me. She will truly become my one and only Empress and wife. The days of her craving freedom are finally gone and she has now finally become mine. Finally.

"Are you happy?" She asked.

"Of course I am, this causes for celebration. Today, we will hold a grand banquet in the name of our unborn child and the whole Empire will enjoy it," I jumped forward, capturing her lips in mine, kissing her deeply as she kissed back.

"All 12 gods must be smiling as brightly as I am right now," Laughing, I kissed her forehead as she laughed with me, just as happy if not, more.

That evening, both Ria and I dressed up in our finest clothes and jewellery, I put my golden wreath on my head and went to look for her.

"Where's Ria?" I asked Linus who should have been with her.

"The Empress has gone to visit the shrine. She asked to be alone for the time being," He explained and I hummed but nonetheless, moved to go to the biggest shrine in the palace, thinking that may have been where she was.

And I was right, she sat on her knees, her palms interlocked and eyes lightly shut as she prayed to Venus, candles and fruits placed in front of her as an offering.

I silently waited for a few more seconds until she was done and she lifted her head, turning to look at me and greeting me with a light smile. "I wanted to pray to Venus before the banquet," She explained as I went over to pick her up in my arms.

"What did you pray for?" I asked, already having a clue as I led us out of the shrine and towards the banquet hall where people could already be heard enjoying themselves.

"For my child to be born as a healthy person," She patted my chest and I put her down. Interlocking our hands, we moved to walk the rest of the way to the hall as the doors flew open and everyone dipped down into deep bows before throwing us their congratulations.

The banquet started not a moment later as we all feasted on delicious food and wine, Ria clearly eating a lot less than she usually did, so not much at all which couldn't be helped as the doctor stated that this was normal at the beginning of someone's pregnancy.

A few hours later, as I talked to one of my senate members, I noticed my wife was missing from my side and frowned at the realisation. Where has she wandered off to this time?

"She is on the terrace," Julius leaned down to whisper in my ear as if having heard my thoughts. Nodding at him in thanks, I moved to go the empty terrace where Ria was the only one present.

"What are you doing out here all alone?" I asked, moving to wrap my arms around her waist from behind, nuzzling my head in the crook of her neck. She laughed, patting my cheek before turning her head to face me and I raised my own head, landing my lips on hers.

"I just needed some air, it was getting suffocating in there,"

"Shall we retire for the evening then?" She shook her head, turning back to look at the view of our Empire and I silently looked with her, enjoying the serene calmness with the distant chattering of guests heard behind us in the hall.

"You look beautiful today," I whispered in her ear, kissing her neck as I did.

"Thank you. And so do you, as always," I grinned like a child at that compliment. The only thing my birth mother gave me before her death was my beauty and up until I met Ria, I never cared for it. Thank the gods that I didn't inherit my father's plain face.

"Shall we go back in now?" She asked and humming, I nodded my head as she turned around in my arms, hugging me around the waist tightly before getting on her toes to kiss my lips.

"We've had two new guests in the time that you've been here," I said, raising her curiosity.

"Who is- Oh?" Without another beat, she ran towards the two people like a little girl and I watched on, a small smile on my face. "Mother, father," She laughed, hugging her mother tightly as her father stroked her hair, leaning down to kiss her head.

"Have you been well?" She asked.

"Nowhere near as well as you, my darling, congratulations. We will pray every day for the healthy birth of your child," Her mother smiled and her father nodded his agreement.

Yes, from now on, I will make sure that there will only be happy days.

...

KEYWORDS:

Banquet- The Romans distinguished between specific types of gatherings, such as the Epulum (public feast), the Cena (dinner, normally eaten in the mid-afternoon), and the Comissatio (drinking party).

Shrine- Many people had shrines in their houses with a figure of their favourite god. They believed it was important to keep the gods happy with gifts or statues.

...