Shakespeare In The Garden (Simon Brown)

Simon x Fem!Reader
Warnings; British reader, older Simon, fluff,

(Y/n) P.o.V

It's been 5 years since Nanny McPhee left after helping the Brown family. Now I work for them as teacher of sorts. I teach the younger children to read and write, and I teach the older siblings things like science and 'home skills' as they call it. We basically grew up together, especially since Tora is my best friend. I love all of the Brown children, although Simon still acts like an annoying child sometimes. No matter how attractive or charming he is, he never fails to irritate me. 

 Right now I'm sat in their garden with Tora, reading. "(Y/n), do you really think Toby likes me?" Tora sighs and lays down on the ground. Her and a boy from across the road have been flirting with each other for months now, and I've had to listen to her talk about him the whole time. 

"I hope he does, I don't think I can listen to you yap on about him for much longer," the book she was reading hits my leg as I laugh. Another laugh joins soon after. Evangeline appears in the doorway, holding a tray. Tora and I get up and run over to her excitedly. In the tray is twelve little cakes, all still warm. Evangeline pulls them away from us, giggling again. 

"You can't have any until they are decorated, which you need to go out and buy, and when everyone is home." With that she puts the tray down and hands us some coins, pushing us towards the street. We both groan before making our way into town.

Time Skip

Finally everyone is home, so now Tora and I are waiting (very impatiently) for the cakes. As we wait in the living room, Aggie sits on my lap while Sebastian and Chrissy are wrapped around my legs. Aggie holds an old copy of Cinderella in her hands, turning the pages once I've read them. The oldest Brown sibling walks in with Eric behind him and when they hear me reading they groan aloud. "Why are you always reading them fairy tales?" Simon laughs, taking the book away. 

"Because (Y/n) says it'll help us know when we fall in love!" Chrissy all but shouts, letting go of my leg and running to her brother. My face burns as Simon coos and pinches my cheek. I slap him away while he laughs. God his laugh is adorable. No it isn't, this is the most annoying boy boy you know. He is not adorable or cute or pretty or smart or kind- Okay so maybe I had a small crush on him once, but not anymore. Lily decides to speak up, asking something that makes me feel sick.

"What's it like to be in love?" 

The family look at me, even Mr Brown, who was sat quietly in the corner reading. I glance at Tora, pleading for her to get me out of this awkward situation. She only giggles, and urges me to answer. By now, the boys look bored and the girls look interested, except Simon, who's looking to the side, as if trying to hiding that he's listening. My face heats up and my heart starts racing. "W-well it's different for everyone really, not everyone has the same reactions to being in love," Lily nods, before saying she knew she used to be in love with a farmer boy. 

"That's a crush, two different things. A crush makes you giddy and excited for a short time, being in love can feel like that too, but it's much easier and faster to get over a crush." Once again she nods, before Simon speaks up. 

"What does it feel like? How do you know?" The questions caught me off guard, and clearly it did for everyone else. Before anyone could answer, Evangeline walks in with the cakes. 

Time Skip

After the 'love' conversation, that was thankfully interrupted, hours have passed. Since my parents are travelling to see my grandparents, I'm staying with the Browns, which is a common occurrence so I have my own bed. Simon, Tora, Lily and Eric all have separate rooms, but the younger three still share the big room, which has been converted into a playroom too. Since I work with the children and I don't stay for long period of time, I share with the young ones, which isn't as bad as it sounds. 

I can't sleep so I quietly went down to the kitchen to get a drink. Turning on the light, I see Simon sat in the table with a half eaten cake in his hand. We both stare at each other with wide eyes, not speaking. He swallows his mouthful before whispering, "I won't tell if you won't," a cheeky grin covers his face. Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I grin too, feeling giddy and excited. I grab a cup of milk and sit next to Simon on the table. His hair looks messy and soft, his eyes are darker too. He lifts the cake up between us, the untouched side towards me. I stare into his eyes as he pushes it forward slowly. Looking down at the cake, I grab his wrist to steady his hold as I take a bite. 

We sit in silence for at least 30 minutes, sharing our food and drink silently. Eventually Simon yawns, and a disappointed feeling settles in my stomach. However as he gets up, he grabs my hand and pulls me up. Running through the house like little kids, we giggle and stumble outside. The moon shines in the sky, lighting up our faces. I see that Simons cheeks are pink, and I can feel mine turning pink too. Without letting my hand go, he lays down on the grass, dragging me down too. 

As we lay there, all them memories of when we were children resurfaced. We would run around holding hands, kissing cheeks and blushing at the sight of each other. Before their mother died, Simon and I used to be best friends, but then when his father wouldn't spend time with them, he became obsessed with trying to get his attention. I barely saw him, so I spent more time with Tora. After years we grew apart in a way, but I've always cared for him, and even if he won't admit it, he's always cared for me. 

"Love sought is good, but given unsought is better. Twelfth night, act 3, scene 1." 

"Never in the many years I have known you, Simon David Brown, have I ever thought you to be romantic," (A/n - Yes this is his full name, google it if you don't believe me) We turn on our sides, facing each other. "I would not wish any companion in the world but you, The Tempest, act 3, scene 1." I sit up, lean on my palms and face the stars again. I don't have to look down to know he's staring at me, but I do anyway. He gets up too, only to lay with his head in my lap. I gently play with the curls, tugging every once in a while. 

"It feels like being disappointed that they must leave, or willing to share food with them," at this Simon gazes up at me with a small smile on his face. "To be in love is to care for someone through thick and thin, to get irritated at them for their idiotic behaviour, but wish they never change. Being in love is to sit in the garden at 1 in the morning, no matter how tired you are. Being in love is reciting Shakespeare to one another in the moonlight. That's what our love is, and I wouldn't change it for the world."

We don't speak after, and fall asleep together on the grass. When we wake up, it's not too late to get back to bed, because the sky is only just starting to change colours. We walk to Simons room, where we stop and stand in front of the door. I grab one hand and the other rests on his cheek. 

"I can express no kinder sign of love, than this kind kiss." 

We lean our foreheads together, just living in the moment. I never thought I would have my childhood sweetheart, but now I just might.