Chapter 44

The next few days are a haze of suffering and silence for those that live and work in Lygon Place. Clarissa is left alone in the house, with George immediately returning to his own home without as much as a goodbye. She visits him throughout the week and the youngest Cavendish welcomes her company, relying on her to get him through the suffering. She accepts this role willingly and is pleased to see his cheeky smile returning with ease as time wears on. They sit and talk, adjusting to life without Grace and finding a sense of belonging with each other. The other Cavendish brother proves to be far more difficult to deal with, locking himself away, mentally and physically, leaving all matters to be dealt with by his wife. She tries to tempt Daniel out of his room with the promise of business but he simply rolls over in bed, muttering about being tired. She leaves him alone after her third failed attempt to get him out from under the covers, choosing to let his decision to hide, slide

To her credit, Clarissa handles her staff with care and consideration, while maintaining authority, as she tells them the same story that everyone else is hearing; Grace Cavendish was depressed and couldn't stand living in a world without her husband, it was the years of heartbreak that killed her.  The aftermath of Grace's death brings a heavyweight down upon the people around her and Clarissa seeks out comfort in familiarity, bringing George to visit The Strand with her. Her people pass on their sympathies and condolences but apology after apology does nothing to ease the pain, and every word increases the strain on her shoulders.  

Despite Daniel being out of action, Clarissa continues to monitor Baines and Lestrade, the last phases of their plan sliding into place. George proves to be helpful in collecting the right information from the many reports that have been constructed over the last month and together they are creating the final stage. They argue about Daniel, George unwilling to include him in his current state but Clarissa insists and eventually, the younger Cavendish concedes. Time creeps on and their deadline is coming closer, with Daniel showing no sign of improving or abandoning his hibernation. 

This morning, Clarissa is sitting at her desk, her plans and maps spread out in front of her, a pencil in her hand. The clock on the mantlepiece shows that it is a little after 11 and the late morning sun is bathing the room in warm light. She is double-checking the figures and recalculating the projectery when Alice walks through the archway, a tray of tea in her hands. 

"He denied breakfast again," Alice informs her, setting the tray down on the nearest table and bringing over a cup of tea. 

"Really?" Clarissa groans, looking up from her work. Alice smiles sympathetically at her. 

"Is there anything else I can get you, your grace?" She asks, stepping back and folding her hands, "Would you like me to try again?" 

"No, no, thank you, Alice," Clarissa waves her hand. Her maid curtsies and leaves. The sound of the door echos through the duchess's quarters and Clarissa lowers her head onto the desk, her forehead resting on the papers. This is the fifth day that Daniel has refused to eat breakfast. While meals and snacks are delivered to his room, he is turning them away, only accepting water, bread and broth. She groans and sits up, reaching for her tea. 

She takes a sip, looking down at the timeline in front of her. She has been waiting for Daniel to get his act together before they set in motion the final act, but the duke is obstinate in his inclusiveness. George's words play on her mind, they cannot delay much longer, it needs to be done with or without Daniel. Clarissa knows that he needs to grieve, they all do, but the longer they wait, the more likely it is that Baines and Lestrade will strike, and she isn't sure they can handle another blow. She needs to do something. She slams her cup down and gets to her feet. 

"I cannot believe this," She grumbles, gathering her papers and sliding them into a folder. She leaves it on the table and heads across the room to the door that leads into the corridor. She slips out of it and goes to the right, stopping in front of the door that leads into Daniel's room. The double doors that connect this room and her study have been kept firmly locked since the morning of Grace's death and she has respected that. However, the time to be nice is over.