Chapter 46

The next few days fly by as Friday creeps closer and Daniel and Clarissa find themselves spending most of their time in each other's company. They eat meals together, visit The Strand and The City, and enjoy late evening conversations in front of the fire. While her husband is yet to give her an answer, Clarissa can't fail to notice that he is trying. He is constantly asking her questions, wanting her opinion and surprising her with an insight into his life. She doesn't want to admit it just yet, but having a husband to spend your time with and sleep beside, isn't as terrible as she thought. Although their new relationship hasn't consisted of anything more than smiles and laughter, she often finds herself imagining something more before quickly chastising herself for having such thoughts. 

Today is Thursday and apprehension for tomorrow is resting heavily on Clarissa's shoulders, but beneath the nerves is a spark of excitement that alights every time she thinks about what is to come. She leans against the carriage and folds her arms, waiting for Daniel to appear. It's an overcast morning so she has opted for a long-sleeved black dress with pearl detailing and sturdy charcoal boots. The front door opens and Daniel waltzes out, looking as dapper as ever in pitch black jacket and trousers. She straightens up and gives him a critical stare as he approaches her. 

"You have made us late," She says. 

"Can a man not have a minute to himself?" He says defensively, opening the carriage door and holding out his hand. 

"Not when that minute stretches into ten and makes us late for our own meeting," She replies, accepting his hand and stepping into the vehicle. She shifts across the seat and makes herself comfortable on the leather.

Daniel climbs in after her and takes the seat opposite, shutting the door behind him. He crosses his legs and signals for the driver to go. 

"I think you cannot stand to be parted from me and that is why you are choosing to scold me. It has nothing to do with my tardiness," He says as the carriage wheel's start to turn, a smirk on his lips. 

She cooly turns to look out of the window, folding her hands in her lap, "It is no wonder you have delusions of adequacy when your imagination is such," 

Daniel sighs with disinterest, "Must we engage in such trivial exchanges," He asks, swatting away an imaginary fly, "A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind," 

"And neither is a penis," Clarissa retorts immediately, her head snapping to face him and a fire burning in her gaze. 

Daniel chokes on his laughter, offering her a rare genuine smile, "Touchè" 

They arrive on Savoy Street a little after 9, which Clarissa doesn't hesitate to point out, but her words fall on deaf ears as they walk into the pub. Everyone else has already arrived and gathered around a collection of tables that have been pushed together in the middle of the pub. There is a chorus of greetings as they enter and Daniel goes straight to talk to Phill and John while Florence stands up to speak with her. Clarissa says hello to Peter, Chuck gives her a curt nod and the barest hint of a smile, while Iwan hugs her and chatters excitedly about his week. 

Finally, he lets go of her, allowing her to move towards the only free chair. She is about to sit down when a pair of hands seize her waist and tug her onto a lap. She looks around at Daniel in surprise but he is in a deep conversation with Phill and does nothing to spare her a glance. She tries to shift herself off him but his hands are like steel traps, securely holding her in place. Florence watches the exchange with wide eyes, casting her a pointed look to which Clarissa just shrugs and turns to John Francis who is sitting on her left. She can overthink this later. 

"Is Jack on watch at the moment?"

"Yes, he's trailing Baines, and my man, Lucas is watching Lestrade," John replies, leaning forward to address her properly, "We will be swapping this afternoon, your grace,"