Chapter Thirty-Three

Sophie and Henry are finally on their way home and, obviously, Penny and I had to have a little fun. Before you say anything, it was her idea, not mine. This is why we're currently crouched at either side of the door ready for them to walk in any second now. Except we've been in this position for the past five minutes and no one's walked through the door yet.

The dull ache in my legs grow. I can't stay like this any longer. "When did they say they'd be back?" I groan as I slide to the floor and extend my legs, massaging them gently.

"They said five minutes," she pauses, squinting her eyes to see her watch better. "That was ten minutes ago." She responds, sitting down herself.

"Why are parents always late?"

"Beats me." She shrugs. She brings her wrist closer to her face and watches as the seconds' tick by.

Is it a universal thing for parents to be late? Whenever I call my dad, he answers only to say that he's busy right now and he'll call me back in five minutes. Then, half an hour later, I'm the one calling him again. His excuse is always 'I've only just finished what I was doing'. This isn't the only occasion either, he's late to family gatherings, work, and even parent-teacher conferences. We've started telling him parties are an hour earlier than they actually are, so he'll turn up on time.

The sound of a key in the door puts us on high alert and we share a knowing look, getting back into our original positions. It opens as we launch ourselves forward.

"Boo!" We scream in unison.

Let's just say, it didn't go as we planned. The person standing in front of us is too tall to be Sophie and their clothes are too casual to be Henry. Our gazes meet, amusement dancing in his eyes. My face drops.

"What the hell are you doing?" Archer laughs as he throws his keys onto the nearest shelf.

Embarrassment settles in, leaving my face feeling like someone has lit fire to it. I was expecting Sophie and Henry trailing their luggage behind them not him. Please God, make the ground open up and swallow me whole. Save me from this embarrassment.

"We're waiting for mom and dad, what're you doing?" Penny narrows her eyes at him.

He backs away slowly, stifling a laugh at the look on her face. "Am I not allowed in my own house anymore?"

If looks could kill he would be six feet underground right now.

He pulls his jacket off and throws it at me unexpectedly. My reflexes kick in and I catch it in my hands just before it collides with my face. Why is he throwing me this? He nods his head to the side, and I turn. Oh. The coat rack's next to me.

I move to do as he says but falter before his jacket reaches the hook. Before I can think it through, I ball the jacket up and throw it back at him. He catches it quicker than I ever could.

"I'm not your slave, do it yourself."

He grins and does as I say. "You'd make a terrible housewife."

"Good." I counter.

I raise my eyebrows, challenging him to continue. His grin grows and little dimples start to show in his cheeks. I can't help but break the eye contact. God, who let this man be so handsome?

His cheekbones are perfectly sculpted. His jawline is sharp enough to cut you. His teeth are straight, I know from the photographs plastered around the house that they aren't the product of braces. His hair is dishevelled yet fluffy at the same time and his brown eyes suck you in with one look. It's like he was designed by the Gods, sent to walk the Earth as an exhibit of their talents.