Chapter Forty-Six

I point out to Penny with a giggle, "you still look half asleep."

She yawns, not bothering to cover her mouth. "That's because I should still be in bed." She groans.

It's the first day back after the break. As you can tell, Penny isn't too happy about it. I actually don't mind being here. Spending so much time at the house was making me miss home even more than I did before. I can't wait to go back to London and see my family during Christmas break.

"You only have seven hours to wait before you can go back to bed. Think of it as a short break."

Her shoulders slump, "If you class seven hours as a short break I can't be your friend."

"I don't need you anyway, I have Brody." A grin takes over my features as I wrap my arm around his. His eyes drop to the floor, not responding with one of his witty comments like usual. "Are you okay?"

He gives me a tight-lipped smile along with a curt nod of his head. "I'm fine." His clipped reply worries me even more.

Penny and I exchange a confused look. It isn't like him to not talk even if it's early in the morning. He's usually the one relaying everything that happened during the weekend onto us with drastic hand gestures.

"I'm sure it's just the jetlag," I mouth to Penny. She nods in agreement but her concerned eyes tell me otherwise.

As we enter the main doors and walk into school, I can't help but feel like people are paying more attention to us than they usually do. Penny notices too. People pull their heads out from their lockers, their eyes locking with ours. Are they watching us because of what happened with Scarlett? Has she turned everyone against us? To be totally honest, I wouldn't be surprised if she did. She's definitely capable of it.

We reach our lockers and grab the books we need for the day. Do you think Scarlett has something planned? She made it clear to us that she was going to make our lives a living hell for what I did. It wouldn't be like her to let us go scathe free. I chew my lip anxiously, trying to focus on something else.

The bell rings and everyone around us starts heading towards their classes. I shut my locker and breathe out a sigh of relief. If she was going to do anything now, she's missed her chance. We're safe for the next period.

"It's too early for algebra." Penny drags out as her parting words.

"You can do it!" I call after her. She turns around as I give her a thumbs up. The look on her face tells me she isn't as confident in herself as I am.

Brody and I have the same class, so we walk there together. When we get there, most of the class is already sat in their seats. I take my seat on the left side of the room and Brody takes his seat on the right a few rows behind.

"Homework out on your desks, please," miss Rhodes starts. "Anyone who doesn't have it will be spending the night with me in detention."

My heart lurches out of my chest at her words despite knowing that I put my homework in my bag last night. I place it on my desk and avoid eye contact with her when she takes it, placing it on the growing pile in her arms. I can't tell if she's in a bad mood yet so it's best to play it safe before I work it out.

"Brody, your homework." She raises her eyebrows expectantly.

I turn around when his usual chirpy voice doesn't surround me only to see him staring blankly into the distance. He isn't paying her any attention. What's he doing?

She drops the pieces of homework onto his desk with a bang before clapping her hands in front of his face. He snaps out of whatever daze he was in and looks up at her. His eyes wander around the room, a blush covering his cheeks when he notices everyone staring back at him.