Chapter 35: Hey, Brother

We're dancin' on the edge of anxiety's ledgeAnd I might fall again, I might fallWe're walkin' on a rope of worry and I hopeThat I don't fall again, I don't fall

And I might fall again, I might fall
We're walkin' on a rope of worry and I hope
That I don't fall again, I don't fall

CADEN POV

The night was falling.

He came to a stop at Ryan's house. I was still a block away with a clear view of him but hiding in plain sight.

Why is he here?

He hid his bike beside a parked car, out of the house sight, and walked to the house opposite of Ryan's, hiding behind the bushes.

Clearly, he never learned to play hide and seek.

I could've waited in the car for him to make his move, but as a good best friend, I will not let him go to jail for his terrible hiding skills. I got out of the car and walked slowly towards the bushes where he was hiding behind. I was right behind him and this idiot couldn't even see me nor hear me, even though the crunchy grass beneath my feet should give him some kind of warning. 

I slowly leaned down behind him and tapped on his shoulder. One second he screamed and the next iron sand was thrown at my face. And some into my mouth. I wiped my face and said, "You scream worst than a seven-year-old girl on training wheels." He closed his eyes, harshly exhaling through his nose "Why are you here, Caden?" I pointed at myself "Why am I here?" I pointed back at him "Why the hell are you here?" He rolled his eyes and turned around "Just go."

Oh no, I don't like that attitude.

I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and pulled him back against the ground. And yes, the force might have something to do with me being pissed off at him. If I were Satan, I'd fry him in hell till crispy done.

I said "You shouldn't be here, Sage. If the Sheriff finds out that you're stalking his house, that could lead to at least two months in juvie."

"I'm not stalking him."

"Oh, so you're playing hide and seek with your little ghost friends?"

"Caden, I'm not really in the mood for your sarcasm." He said as he stood up from the ground "I'm here for Ryan and you know why." I reasoned "Yeah, I know. But that doesn't mean you stalk the dude at his house. And certainly not when his brother is the Sheriff. I wanna get back at Ryan too but not now. He's hiding behind his big brother. We need Ryan when he's alone. We need to be patient."

"Yeah, well, I don't have the time for that. Not anymore. You need to get out of my way, Caden."

He walked past me to the bushes and kneeled behind them. I sighed and I knew I was being stupid at this point. I kneeled beside him "Yeah, well, if you're going to Juvie, I'm coming with you." He looked at me like I had grown Satan horns and said "Oh no. You're going home. You're not here with me. I don't need you."