10.

THE WENDIGO HAD FOLLOWED THEM right into the entrance of the mines, both teenagers already breathless and fatigued as Mike struggled to close the door on it

THE WENDIGO HAD FOLLOWED THEM right into the entrance of the mines, both teenagers already breathless and fatigued as Mike struggled to close the door on it. Its skin was burning with flames and it had shriveled into a black, thinner version of itself. Yet it continued to claw aggressively at the Munroe as he tried to force the opening shut.

"Hang on, Mike," Charlie hollered above the noise, hoisting her gun into the air and aiming for the scorched Wendigo's head. Dread ripened in her stomach when she was only met with a quiet click, indicating she had run out of bullets. "Shit!"

The situation worsened when the Wendigo finally prowled through the door, hopping on top of Mike and sending him colliding with the floor. Charlie let out a panicked shout and began searching for any nearby weapons.

"Hey, fatty! Over here!" Another voice called, and Sam careened forward with a shovel firmly wrapped in her hands. The Wendigo let out a pained screech as the tip of the object rammed into its head, the Giddings girl attacked it several times before successfully killing it.

"Fuck, dude," Charlie groaned, throwing the fiery remains of the monster a disgusted look.

"Whoa," Mike panted as he successfully closed the door, tossing both girls concerned looks. "You guys alright?"

"Uhh define alright," Sam replied, slightly shaken up. Her sneakers scuffled against the earthy floor as she backed away from the dead Wendigo.

"Alive, for starters," Mike answered earnestly. "Let's find a way down to where that fucker lives."

Charlie offered the blonde a grateful smile, though still dusted with fear from previous events. "You totally saved our asses, Sam."

"I was totally not prepared for how ugly that thing looks up close," she sighed.

"Yeah..." The Pruitt girl's eyes drifted down to her hand, still stained with drying blood. "I got up real close and personal with one," she mumbled in disappointment, lifting her wound to show the Giddings teen. "Fucker bit me."

"It's okay," Sam shook her head, her assuring tone lifting unknown weight off of Charlie's shoulders. "I read the flamethrower guy's journal. Bites aren't infectious, so you won't turn."

A silence slid between the three, a knowing feeling passing through them. "Huh..." Charlie chuckled, letting her bloodied hand fall. "Em won't be too happy with you when she sees you, Mike."

The taller boy let out a guttural sigh, his fingers reaching up to scratch at the back of his head. "Yeah, but...she'll get over it, right?"