Chapter 29

“Amir, can I talk to you?”

Amir looked up from his papers, and motioned Houssam into the room.

“Of course Houssam. Sit down.”

Houssam took the seat across from Amir’s desk, and began to bounce his leg up and down anxiously, avoiding his brother’s gaze.

“What’s going on Houssam?” Amir asked after a few moments of silence.

“Um, I sort of need to talk to you about something.” He said nervously, and Amir stared at him, waiting for him to continue, but when he didn’t, he leaned back against his seat.

“You’re scaring me Houssam. What’s up?”

“No need to be scared Amir. I’ve just never done this before so I’m trying to figure it out.”

Amir raised an eyebrow.

“Is this what I think it means?”

Houssam laughed, and ran a hand through his hair.

“If you think I am about to tell you I think I want to marry someone then you are right.”

“Aw man!” Amir exclaimed a giant grin on his face. “Houssam! Bro!” he laughed, and stood up walking around his desk to clap Houssam on the back.

Houssam laughed.

“Yeah I know I know. Don’t make a big deal out of it, you’re going to make me blush.”

Amir snorted, and sat back down at his desk.

“Yeah, you’re going to blush.”

Houssam shrugged.

“Hey it’s been known to happen.”

Amir shook his head with a smile.

“So would I be correct in my guess that it is Kalthoum you are interested in?”

“You would be.”

Amir smiled wider.

“So why are you deciding now? I thought you told Yusra you were going to wait?”

“Well I was going to. But I decided I need to go back to LA after Yusra finishes her infusions, and I wanted to get to know Kalthou m before I go.”

Amir’s eyes widened.

“What!? Why would you leave?! You still have like four months before your next season starts!”

Houssam shook his head.

“I know. But man this whole thing with Hana and the paparazzi scared the hell out of me. I can’t even tell you. Like her face when she was crying is still haunting me. I don’t want anything like that to happen to her again, I care about her too much.”

If you care about her so much, why are you going after her best friend? Amir couldn’t help thinking

“And of course that applies to everyone else too not just Hana.”

“Of course. So why are you coming to me for help?” he asked.

“Because you came to me when you wanted to get married. Thought I would do the same.”

“Aw,” Amir said with a pleased smile, “it means a lot to me that you trust me like that.”

“Yeah, yeah don’t go all mushy on me. What do I do?”

“Well the first step would be to talk to Baba. Then if he agrees with everything, from there you talk to her dad.”

Houssam nodded, propping his face up on his chin thoughtfully, and Amir just sat quietly watching him, before clearing his throat.