Chapter 6

"Is there something wrong, Estelle?" Nikolaidis asks her.

Nikolaidis is already lying on the bed. While Estelle is uncomfortably seated as far from him as possible on the opposite side. He's confused why she's acting this way. Did I do something wrong?

"U-um, I don't think we should sleep in one bed together..." Estelle awkwardly answers.

"What do you mean? Isn't it normal for a married couple to share one bed and sleep together?" Nikolaidis says, sitting up.

"Besides, we already slept together last night," he continues as he slowly goes closer to her.

"Huh? Wh-what?!" Estelle gasps, flustered. Nikolaidis finds her reaction adorable. My wife is cute.

"We must fulfill our duties as a married couple," he tells her as he continues to move closer to her.

"Nikolaidis! Why did you marry me?" She suddenly blurts out.

He stops moving. He's taken aback by her sudden question. He stares at her golden eyes, unsure of what to answer. Would it be right to tell her I was ordered by the Emperor?

"Did you marry me because you loved me?"

A cold breeze flows through the open windows, making the curtains flutter lightly. Nikolaidis deeply ponders Estelle's question.

Love? Is this love that I feel for Estelle? Is love what draws me towards her? Is it the feeling that keeps tugging in my chest whenever I'm with her?

"I'm not sure if I love you..." He answers honestly. Yet...

"Then we cannot sleep together," she looks at him straight in the eye.

"What is so wrong about sleeping together? What will the servants think if we sleep in separate rooms?"

"When a man and woman share a bed together, th-they make love!" She says with red cheeks.

Nikolaidis heart pounds on his chest. He's always thought consummation completes the vow of marriage but he never thought of it as making love...

"We cannot make love if we don't love each other. Even if we are married!" Estelle speaks firmly.

Nikolaidis feels somehow dejected by her words. To be honest, I was looking forward to spending the night with her. Having her in my arms and...

"I understand," he sighs.

They both fall silent. He's thinking hard on how to convince her to share a bed together. Although it would be difficult for me, I believe I can manage being in one bed with her without doing 'that'.

"I told you that we already slept in one bed together last night and nothing happened between us. I give you my word, as the Duke of Blanchard and a knight of this Empire, that I will not make love to you. Please trust me and feel at ease sleeping together with me."

She stares at him with furrowed brows. He could see she's carefully considering his words. He feels nervous, waiting for her answer.

"Okay," she finally answers, nodding.

He couldn't stop himself from smiling. There's something about her presence that makes him feel calm enough to sleep and the thought of being able to see her face the moment he wakes up in the morning makes him happy.

~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~

Estelle tosses and turns, unable to sleep. Am I the only one uncomfortable here? My heart is beating so fast! How can this man sleep so easily next to a woman in one bed?! Maybe he doesn't see me as a woman...