Chapter 33

As soon as the squad of Imperial Knights left Blanchard Castle, Estelle could not remain still. Who could remain calm when their husband is being detained and accused of committing treason even though he's innocent? Treason against the Imperial Family is a heavy crime worthy of execution! I cannot let Niko be executed! But, what can I do to clear his name?

Estelle paces around her office, trying to come up with a plan. However, no matter how much she racks her brain, nothing comes to her mind. This is so frustrating! I can't just stay here and do nothing!

She starts fumbling with her silver ring, trying to think of any possible way to help her husband. An idea finally comes to her. At the very least, I could vouch for his innocence! But am I allowed to stand as witness during Niko's trial?

She decides to call Sir Stefano, Nikolaidis' right-hand man and the second-in-command of the Knights of the Black Order, to ask for his advice.

"I'm sorry to summon you at such a late hour, Sir Stefano," Estelle apologizes to the orange haired knight as she lets him in her office.

"No worries, your highness. I am at your beck and call. I was also unable to remain at ease knowing that the Grand Duke is being falsely accused," Stefano says as he bows to Estelle.

"Thank you, Sir Stefano. I called you to ask about the situation. Do you know if I can testify during Nikolaidis' trial?"

"Unfortunately, you cannot do so, your highness. Family members are not allowed."

"I see..."

Estelle was beginning to feel hopeless. She stares at the floor, her anxiety growing more and more every second.

"I also wish to help the Grand Duke, your highness. I was actually just at his office, looking over a document that might lead to finding out the people responsible for the flyers that were spread."

Estelle looks up, "really?"

"The Duke's office received a complaint from Lord Bastian, a noble who owns a paper making shop here in Blanchard, regarding a robbery that occurred during the last day of the Founding Anniversary celebrations. The case was closed even though the culprits were not caught because only a few crates of papers were stolen and no one was harmed from the incident. I also happened to read an article from a newspaper a few weeks ago that several paper making shops from territories near Blanchard were also robbed albeit they were small scale robberies which is why they weren't given much thought."

"You think these robberies are connected to the treasonous flyers?" Estelle asks, a sliver of hope rising in her chest.

"Yes, your highness. I think someone is trying to incriminate the Grand Duke by printing out those flyers. Finding the paper robbers will lead to the person behind this."

"How can I help you, Sir Stefano? Please let me do something to help clear my husband's name."

"I'm afraid I cannot accept your highness' help. I'm planning on going to Lord Bastian's shop tonight with a small group of knights to find clues. It could be dangerous especially for a pregnant lady like yourself, Grand Duchess."

"I understand, Sir Stefano. I wish you the best of luck in finding the paper robbers. I won't hold you up any longer, please go now so you can find the culprits."

"Thank you, your highness. Leave it up to me!"

The knight bows and starts walking towards the door but he stops and turns around, "your highness, you could ask other people to vouch for Grand Duke Nikolaidis. These people should be those with good reputations who are known to be loyal to the Imperial Family."

Estelle thinks for a moment then answers, "yes, I think I know someone who can testify that Nikolaidis does not covet the throne."

I have to go to the former Grand Duke, Lord Marcos Ludington!

~•~ ~•~ ~•••~ ~•~ ~•~

"Are you sure you want to leave at this hour, your highness? It's past midnight," Abenant asks Estelle as he helps her get in the carriage.

"Time is of the essence, Abenant. I cannot sleep knowing that my husband could be executed."

"Please at least let me accompany you, your highness," the butler was almost pleading, his forehead creased with extreme worry for his pregnant master.

"But who will manage the castle if you come with me, Abenant?"

The butler sighs at her words. The Grand Duchess was right.

Estelle gives Abenant a small smile, "don't worry so much, Abenant. I am travelling with Delia and my personal knights. These seven knights were chosen by Nikolaidis himself so I know they are strong and capable."

Delia enters the carriage, a little out of breath from hurriedly packing Estelle's luggage.

The maid looks at the head butler and tells him firmly, "don't fret, Mister Brossard. I am here to protect the Grand Duchess! Good bye!"

With that they close the carriage door and begin their journey to the Capital. It was a good thing that Prince Klavin's second birthday is taking place soon which is why the former Grand Duke is at the Capital instead of being at the Kingdom of Huelva. It would have taken them four to five days to get to Huelva but the Capital is only about five hours away. It would also be easier since Nikolaidis was being detained in the Capital and his trial will also be held there.

As the sun begins to rise on the horizon, the carriage passes through the thick pine forest which means only a few hours were left until they would reach their destination. Estelle's rubs her stomach as she watches the yellow-orange rays slowly grow brighter. She silently apologizes to her baby in her womb for being so mentally and physically exhausted.

Mommy is so sorry, little one. I'll make up for the lack of sleep and the mental stress once this gets resolved. I need to do this for daddy. I have to help him.

Her thoughts drift to Nikolaidis, worrying about his condition. Is he being held prisoner at some cold and dirty cell? I hope they'll feed him proper meals while he's being detained. I hope he's not getting abused by the guards there...

The carriage abruptly stops, causing Estelle to almost fall over. Her heartbeat quickens as she becomes fully alert. What's happening? Why did we suddenly stop?

"Are you all right, your highness?" Delia asks.

Estelle nods but she was becoming afraid. The situation they were in was very similar to the ambush that happened last spring, however, this time, Nikolaidis wasn't with her.

Suddenly, they hear the sound of clashing metal and loud grunts of pain. No! We're really being ambushed!

A knight shouts from outside, "don't let them near the carriage!"

The coach shakes violently. Estelle holds on to whatever she could grab to anchor herself. Who is attacking us?!

A few moments later, the coach's door opens but it was not a knight in black armor facing Estelle. It was a person she didn't want to see.

Nathaniel?! Why the hell is he here?

"I missed you so much," Nathaniel says and covers Estelle mouth and nose with a piece of cloth.

The Grand Duchess struggles as she tries to push Nathaniel away while holding her breath. If I breathe in, I'm sure I'm going to pass out because of the chemical on the cloth!

Delia tries to help her master get free from Nathaniel's grasp but the rogue knight was much stronger than the two women. He uses one hand to keep Estelle's mouth and nose covered while he uses the other to strangle Delia mercilessly.

Estelle can't hold in her breath any longer and inhales the strong scent of the cloth. She begins to lose her consciousness. The last thing she sees before her vision goes black is Delia's face lose all its color.

No...