Part 33 - Seductive Opportunity

"What we're offering you here is an opportunity, Paige," Lorres' eyes glittered with promise. "An opportunity for a fresh start, the opportunity to assist in combating terrorism from a safe place, plus the settlement will go through a lot quicker if you're not on the other side of the Atlantic. We would take care of everything; car, accommodation, therapy, ongoing medical expenses, health insurance, plus a fortnightly stipend for your assistance when we require it. If you want regular work to keep you occupied we can even arrange a part time clerical position."

"And all you want me to do is... tell you if I recognise someone when you ask?" It was horseshit. Total horseshit. Did Lorres know what she was feeding me? Of course she did; could she tell I knew? For the first half of our meeting a lawyer had been present outlining details of the restitution owed to me. They were going to pay me. They were going to pay me a lot. 

"All we want you to do is cooperate with us when we need you, that's all." Lorres placed her coffee cup down a little too hard, the firm high pitched noise echoing around the impossibly white room. I'd made it crystal clear with the lawyer that I had transactional immunity, not that I thought it would make much of a difference to the unspoken divisions who had a licence to work in the shadows skirting the law. 

Even knowing Lorres' reasons were bullshit, the offer was tantalising. I'd been dreading returning to the UK and my previous life, and now I was being granted the chance to avoid it indefinitely. I had always wanted to travel the States, and now I could be given a free token to start a new life. 

"When do you need my answer?" I glanced at the contract in front of me. The lawyer had revised it and seemed secure with its content. 

"As soon as possible, tomorrow morning would be great," Lorres broke her mouth into a dazzling grin. She was very infectious, I almost felt my lips twitch into a semblance of a smile. 

"Okay, I'll think it over tonight." 

I spent the car journey in silence next to Ant, who true to his word, hadn't let me out of his sight. He had stationed himself outside of the conference room during my meeting, accompanied me to lunch, stayed in the corridor whilst I went to the bathroom... It was comforting and unnerving at the same time. When we finally pushed the heavy door of the apartment to a soft close, I could feel his eyes on me. 

"I'll tell you everything, just let me wash my hands and put the kettle on," I avoided his invasive stare. 

"Ok," he muttered and discarded his shoes, walking to the main window and dissecting the view. 

The water rose to a boil as I formulated my thoughts, wondering if what I wanted to say was really the right decision to make. 

"They offered me a job. This apartment, salary, health insurance, therapy, car... everything. A new life," the weighty brimming kettle was pushing the capabilities of my arm, water slopping over the rim of the first mug. I heard Ant laugh behind me.

"Mmm, no." 

"No?" I set the kettle down and turned to face him. He stalked towards the small kitchen island and leaned across it, almost menacingly blue eyes pointed directly at me. 

"You know why they're offering that, right?" He smirked. It was attractive on him, with his incredibly dark hair and brutishly striking features. 

"I do know why they're offering it, actually," I parried, did he really think I was that naïve? 

Ant laughed, a condescending chuckle with a shake of his head and slight roll of his eyes. "You have no idea what they-" 

"Actually, Ant, I do," a sudden fury stoked in my belly. "I know you probably only see me as a naïve little girl, because that's all you've known. You've only ever witnessed me in two capacities- a victim in need of rescuing and a captive in need of interrogating. But I have to remember that I'm neither of those. And going back home... whatever that even means... I don't know how I'll move on. I'm not an imbecile. I'm well aware they're offering me this enticing little 'get back on your feet' package so they can keep an eye on me. I'm well aware they probably don't want me wandering off whilst all this is still fresh. But the chance to rebuild, to start afresh is... seductive."