Shot Two

All members turned to the entrance from where Rahul's voice boomed. And they recollected how the two guests (well one can hardly call them that since they have been around for a month and a half) had come into their lives.

---- Flashback starts (Arnav's POV) ----

Anjali was coming to stay at Shantivan as Rahul was off to London on a business trip. While picking up gifts at the mall she ran into Sheetal who she recognized as Arnav's friend from Harvard and her son Aarav. They exchanged tales over coffee, but Anjali's concentration was just on Aarav who reminded her of her Chotte. On hearing that Sheetal had just shifted to Delhi from USA and is job & apartment hunting, Anjali offered her a temporary place at Shantivan and a job at AR Designs.

Arnav was reluctant to let his ex-girlfriend stay at home and felt that Khushi would also be uncomfortable, but seeing his Di's happiness on interacting with Aarav and on Khushi's insistence, he agreed. The family was happy to finally have a child in the house and see their Anjali dote over 'mini ASR', as they called him. Aarav had the whole house (except Arnav and Khushi) wrapped around his finger and Sheetal betiya found an admirer in Nani, Mami and Anjali for being a single mother, and for her business acumen and fashion sense. Arnav maintained a strictly professional relationship with her but agreed to travel to work together as Khushi asked him to start being more considerate to others.

However, those few weeks saw Khushi and him drifting apart, over small things, especially after the DNA test*, which Khushi claimed she didn't take. (*In this story there's only one DNA test and that's also not done by Khushi). Her lack of trust in him (as he assumed) definitely added to their issues. Although he didn't hold on to the grudge for long, it did put them at edge with one another. The last straw was him coming back from another terrible day at work and witnessing an argument between Di and Khushi where Khushi was adamantly refusing something Di was almost begging for. He didn't know what the matter was but needed some peace at home so asked them to find a solution but neither would budge. He stormed off and stayed at the farmhouse, thinking he will calmly talk to them the next day and get to the bottom of the matter but returned home to a shock – his Khushi had left him!

In the month that followed not only Anjali but all the family members found solace in Aarav. Except for Arnav who was just focused on finding Khushi and Payal who rushed back on hearing about her baby sister. Even Aakash who had joined in a few days later was more interested in seeing what new habits of his bhai would 'mini ASR' display each day rather than looking for his sister-in-law. And Sheetal? Although Arnav ran in the opposite direction whenever he saw Sheetal approaching, the family leaned on her for support, especially Di. In fact, Anjali who had returned to Mehra House as Rahul's mother was visiting, left the responsibility of the household with Sheetal. Then how come she was missing today?

---- Flashback ends ----

Arnav: How did Sheetal come in between?

Rahul: Only you and this family can answer that question. (putting on a naïve act) What I mean to say is... having stayed abroad for most of my adulthood, I don't know much about Indian culture and even my foster parent's way of thinking is very westernized. So, whenever I'm at a cultural crossroads, I've looked at the Raizada parivaar for guidance. In western countries, members of the opposite gender staying together is not given a second look but I thought maybe it's frowned upon in India. However, seeing how comfortable your family was with your ex-girlfriend staying in your house, I knew a friend staying with me wouldn't be a problem.

Aakash: Jijaji, it's not like that. Sheetalji is not just a friend, we also have a professional relationship with her. Her stay is our company's responsibility as she works in AR...