Chapter 27

Damian finally pushed his face away from my stomach, his bloodshot eyes looked up to me. "What made you think such things? How... how could you believe I'd be happy with anyone else?" I sunk to the ground next to him.

"Because my whole life I've been reminded of my rank. Or lack of. Every day a warrior would push me over because they could. I wanted to be better. I wanted to show people I was more... show my pack. So I tried to train with the warriors. It just demonstrated how weak I was. Then... at the ceremony, I was reminded that I was just that... an omega. An omega that can't defend herself. Just a-"

"Stop saying it." Damian snapped, "The more you say the lies the more you believe them. Why can't you see how perfect you are?"

"Because I'm not... look." I thrust my arm out to him... showing the ugliness. He looked up to my face then down to my arm, gently taking it in his hand. With the lightest of touch, he traced down the largest of the cuts. "You know what I see when I see these?" I shook my head. "A survivor. Someone who went against the odds to survive. A strong capable Luna who was let down by those sworn to protect her. Our scars remind us where we've been. They remind us of the past so we learn and grow." I dropped my arm from him.

I sat silently, thinking about his words. Thinking about his reaction to me leaving. Thinking what I said to him. "I'm sorry," I said down to my lap, ashamed.

"It was what Jeremy said wasn't it?" Damian pulled me onto his lap nuzzling into my shoulder.

"Kinda... it's been echoing around... also what Cameron said." He sighed against my shoulder. "Well... I was feeling so sure, and safe. I felt ready to be High Luna... then... he had to remind me I wasn't." I felt like I needed to explain myself.

"But you've proved yourself time and time again. You're fair, you're kind, you're just. You've proved that. You've only been here two months and you've proved everything. And the Moon Goddess agrees or she wouldn't have granted you a High Luna wolf." I moved so I could press my face against his still wet shirt, "I'm sorry".

"Let me get changed then we'll go on a walk, yeah?" I nodded against him moving from his lap. I also went and got changed; he'd got my clothes wet too.

We walked out of the house hand in hand. It felt amazing to be walking on something other than carpet and wooden floors. I dropped Damian's hand just to speed up to a jog. I felt the wind whip my hair back. As my feet pushed off the ground kicking up wet mud. Damian had matched my pace and chuckled. "Maybe I have been a little overprotective."

"A little?" I said in disbelief.

"Fine... a lot," he admitted. I nodded satisfied.

"It was sweet. I know you care. But I felt really suffocated," I said honestly as I slowed my jog back to a walk. I was starting to tire.

Damian matched and slipped his arm around my waist. "I understand. I broke my promise... I'm sorry." I looked up to him but he wasn't looking to me

"What promise?"

"That no-one would hurt you again. My whole job is to protect you." He tightened his grip.

"Again, the Fae causing hurt and arguments," I muttered down to the wet earth

"Yeah... they do that." We'd walked into the woods, the wet mud squelching under our boots mixing with the fallen leaves. Greens were turning to browns and yellows making the woodland even prettier than usual.

We walked, enjoying the rustling sounds of animals, the leaves floating from their branches. The cool sun's rays stretching through the leaves clinging to life. "Damian." I stepped in front of him placing my hands on his chest. (and had a little feel of his muscles, sue me). "I didn't mean what I said... I don't want to leave." I met his eyes and reached up to trace his strong jaw until he grasped my hand and laid my palm against his cheek, leaning his cheek in, closing his eyes. "Damian... I love you." I knew he'd said it to me before, and I'd never responded (I was rendered unconscious the first time). His eyes snapped open and the biggest grin crossed his face, "Te amo angelum meum."