Chapter Eighteen

Noah, I miss you

Noah, I miss you...

Noah rubbed his eyes, weary from trying to rid his mind of thoughts of Bea. For two weeks he had tried, and for two weeks, he had failed. After he pulled her into his bed that evening and slept with her cuddled close to him, he knew he crossed a dangerous line. But it was Race's last words to Noah that forced him to put some distance between himself and Bea.

Even now, as he sat in his study, his gaze fixed upon the pile of paperwork before him, he saw clearly the anger that blazed in Race's eyes as he glared at him from across the room.

"I know she slept here," Race accused.

Sitting up straighter in his bed, Noah tried to hide the guilt from his face. Perhaps he had derived great pleasure in sleeping next to Bea, but when he woke up to find her missing from his bed, he had been slightly relieved to think she had sneaked out of his room without getting caught—he was wrong.

"You shall not speak of this to anyone—"

"Why not?!" Race half barked, stepping forward. "Why not, Noah? Perhaps it is because you are ashamed of what you have done. Perhaps you are ashamed of her!"

Noah didn't dare look at Race. He couldn't. Slowly, he rose from his bed, his head aching as he crossed the room to his window. "You shall not speak of it because it is no concern of yours," he whispered, his fingers folding around the windowsill. "Now, excuse me."

Silence followed his words, but Noah knew Race remained standing behind him, his judgemental gaze boring a hole in Noah's back. He thought of how many others must know about his time with Bea last evening, and if they knew, would they judge them for choosing to sleep together in the same bed?

Even as the thought crossed his mind, he let out a small laugh. It was silly to think society wouldn't condemn them for their actions. Even more so, society would condemn Bea.

"You shall not have me speak of it because try as you may to convince yourself otherwise, Noah, somewhere deep down in your heart, you know exactly what your relationship with that woman is; wrong. And even more than what it is, is how it is bound to end—badly," he finished.

It was the last time he saw Race, but he didn't forget his words, they haunted him. Mentally, he considered the many ways his relationship with Bea could end. He knew he couldn't marry her, and he knew if he didn't stay away from her, he would be unable to resist the overwhelming desire to carry her to his bed. Didn't he already fall asleep with her in his arms? The first time it happened, he had been too ill to do anything. He could not guarantee the same would be the case if it happened a second time, and for the life of him, he could not guarantee it wouldn't happen a second time if he saw her again.

Noah had stationed his butler at his door to bar Bea from entering his room that morning. For her own safety, he needed to keep her away. But when he received her note saying she missed him, he rang for his valet, forcing him to stay by his side because he was afraid he would go to her.