Epilogue

"Leave us."

Beatrice felt the maids stiffen at the sound of the voice that boomed in the room, scaring even the chandelier above their heads.

She turned to Noah, a small frown creasing her forehead at the sight of him. What was he doing in her room looking so breathtaking in that black tailored suit and sparkling white cravat?—she mused, barely hearing the maids as they hurried out the door. She could do nothing but stare at him.

He stared at her as well. Standing motionless in his position by the door, his gaze darkened as it crept down her face, to her neck, pausing briefly on her breasts left exposed by the low-cut neckline of her red dress, before sliding down the tight bodice to her feet.

She cocked her head to the side as she watched his lips part slightly with pleasure; she had hoped, upon her decision to wear this dress, to elicit this look from him. "What are you doing scaring my maids out of my chamber?" she called, gaining his attention.

He raised his gaze to her. "What are you doing looking so ravishing?" He raised a brow as he crossed the room to where she stood by the dresser. Pausing behind her, his arms curled around her waist, drawing her further against him. "You should not be working so hard to seduce me, dear wife," he whispered warmly against her ear.

Fighting the unsanctimonious thoughts that raced through her mind in that second, she ran her tongue across her bottom lips. "I'm not."

"Whatever you're doing, it's working." He slid his hand down her arm, leaving a trail of heat in its wake.

Leaning back further against him, she sighed. "We have a ball to attend."

"Indeed." He kissed her neck.

"And we're the hosts."

"Ah..." His lips trailed down her neck to her bare shoulder, the warmth of passion weakening her knees.

"We cannot be late, Noah," she croaked.

"Perhaps we must move the ball to another date," he asked, and for a second, she considered his question. But only for a second, for she was quickly reminded of the reason for the ball.

"The rumors shall spread if we do," she announced, gaining his attention. Reluctantly, he released her and stepped back. She turned fully to observe the frown on his face. "I am as loath to have this ball as you are, but..."

"Our child," he said, his gaze shifting down, where the signs of life growing within her remained concealed by her flat stomach.

She was pregnant, barely but a few weeks, but she had known even before the physician confirmed it. With the knowledge of her pregnancy came the indisputable fact that they needed to make an official announcement of their marriage. Perhaps they had been silly enough to think they could live quietly as man and wife alone in their home in Camden, caring nothing for the opinion of the ton. But they were forced to rethink their decision upon the news of her pregnancy, for she knew her child would be labeled a bastard otherwise. The misconception of being pregnant out of wedlock would also destroy what was left of Beatrice's reputation, and Noah was unwilling to stand for that.

Reluctantly, the two had planned a ball and journeyed back to London at the start of the season to make the announcement.

"You look breathtaking." She motioned to his suit, changing the topic.

Glancing up, he grinned. "As do you." He raised her hand to his lips and pressed a kiss to her satin glove. "You're beautiful."

Heat climbed up her neck, setting her face on fire as she smiled up at him. Nearly a year of marriage, and the man still possessed the power to make her blush.