Every Girl Can Be A Princess

Tina's excitement was evident when we reached my building, her eyes bulging as she looked up at the huge windows and the tall structure going way up above her head.

"You live in a castle!" She said happily.

"Not quite a castle," I corrected her. "There are lots of smaller homes inside, I live in one of them."

Jake made an awkward movement on her other side, catching my attention. Following his line of sight, I saw the issue immediately... Rex.

"Don't worry," I whispered, leading them forward. "Afternoon Rex," I greeted him happily.

"Hello, Carrie," He said warmly, his eyes passing to Jake and pausing momentarily before finding Tina between us. "And what's your name little one?"

"Mommy said I'm not to talk to strangers," She said briefly.

"Your mother is very wise," Rex nodded. "I have a daughter about your age, and I tell her the same thing. But you see, I'm the doorman of this building, so it helps me to know who is going in and out in case of an emergency."

She pondered what he'd said, her little face scrunched up in thought as she looked to Jake for reassurance.

"It's okay," He told her.

Instantly she roved around and smiled brightly.

"I'm Tina."

"Well Tina, I'm Rex," He said warmly.

"That's an unusual name," Tina replied boldly, making all three of us laugh.

"Yes, I suppose it is."

Glad that the tension appeared broken by Tina's presence, I winked at Jake, watching him settle somewhat at the lack of hostility from Rex, who opened the door to show us all in.

"Oh Carrie, your father told me to let you know he and your mother have gone to Boston. Last-minute meeting. They asked that you collect the mail whilst they're gone."

"Sure, thanks."

Moving into the lobby, Jake gave me a sympathetic look. It may have seemed strange to him that my parents passed on messages like that via the doorman, but to me, it was perfectly normal. It sucked sometimes not to at least get a goodbye before they flew off around the country, but it was a consequence of their high-flying life, and I loved them regardless of their somewhat inconsiderate behaviour.

Tina's day got even better when she stepped into my apartment. Her joy practically radiated off of her as she had free reign to explore the luxury pad. I watched happily as she ran around the room in a big circle, yelping with excitement at the large tv, the loaded shelves and the pretty decorations.

"Wow!" Was all she could say, over and over again, whilst Jake and I lingered by the sofa watching with amusement.

Slowing at the coffee table, she spotted the open sketchbook and peered at the drawings.

"Do you draw?" She asked.

"Yep, they're my designs for work. I draw dresses and then I get to make some of them," I explained.

"This one looks like a princess dress," She said thoughtfully, flicking the page to one of the wedding designs.

"It's called a Princess Style."

"Did you make it?"

"Not that one, but I've made others, they're in my closet."

Jake and I exchanged glances, both of us clearly remembering the last time that my dresses were discussed, and how things progressed when I modelled one for him.