9| Sweet Hellos

I was officially out of my comfort zone.

With a fluttering in my heart, I was about to evolve in the ethereal atmosphere of campus life. It was our first day in college, but we had spent years nervously anticipating it. My dad, the great patriarch, drove both of us to North Western college In his 4x 4 truck.

The campus looked great- the buildings old and elegant, hundreds of people crowded everywhere. Siblings and friends were helping with luggage, parents were hugging their children goodbye with clusters of lost and confused freshmen. I made my way to the porters' lodge where I was handed my room keys. Arm in arm, my bestie and I walked through the hall and Sweet hellos filled the corridors.

The best part of everything is that our rooms are directly next to one another. We are not roommates because we were scared off doing so by a last minute revelation. Being roommates with your bestie destroys friendship. Fights over bathroom and kitchen issues, cleanliness, space, visitors and sharing were likey to drive us apart. Since they say prevention is better than correction, we took the high road.

While strolling to our room, we met a girl wearing a black tank top, a black mini- skirt, fishnet stockings and black combat boots. Her dramatic goth makeup, her jet black hair, multiple ear piercing made her stand out in the crowd. She was the definition of disturbia.

My dad eyed her up and down. "Don't be messing around with those kind of girls," my dad said. We went to Hailey room to check out her place before going to mine.
Just when my dad was about to leave the girl we saw earlier walked in.

"Hello, I'm Riley. I guess you are my room mate", she said casually.
What in heaven's name is this. Hope it is a prank. I better be dreaming. My dad looked super uncomfortable. He could not believe his eyes.
My dad pulls me outside to speak to me. "you know we are going to change your room."

I really wanted to concur with my dad, but I was scared of what people would think of me. The freshman who came and on the first day had a problem with her roommate.
"Dad, relax, she might not be bad as she looks, let's see how it goes"
"You be very careful, no parties, no boys. I will do my own investigation on this Riley. Please don't get too close to her. Take care"

We entered the room again with fake smiles plastered on our faces. "See you around Riley, and take care darlin", he said then gives me a tight hug before leaving.

Throughout my life, my father, Mr. Webber has been loving and very protective of me. I was told that he leaped for joy when my gender was revealed. He has this belief that it is his daughter who would be ready and more willing to take care of him in old age. I absolutely concur, I love my dad. He didn't play with me, he always treated me like a princess and got me whatever I desired. For my sixteenth birthday he bought me V8 and I was over the moon. One time in high school, he came and beat up a bully who was making my life hell. He was a jerk and the beatings was well deserved. After that everybody feared me and I was never ever bullied again.

"You are a daddy's girl. And I guess your father has concerns about your being here with me. Look, people see me in my dark clothes and assume the worst, but I am actually chill". She said.

It was awkward and I was embarrassed. "it is not like that". I turned facing the wall and begin to unpack my clothes. I placed half in the drawers and the other half on hangers, all in attempt to avoid talking any further.
"I like you, I hope we can be great friends"
"i hope so too", I said shyly.
"I am going to grab something to eat, do you want anything?"
"No, thanks for offering. My mom packed lots of food to last for years for me."
"Then I am off. Make sure to lock the door if you are going to sleep. I have a key already. Bye"
"Bye", I replied.

Why can't I have a normal roommate? I mentally asked myself.
I did a little background check on Riley. Not a classic FBI way or private investigator way, rather my way. As soon as she stepped out, I logged to good old and trusty Facebook and typed in her name. Pictures of her graduation from Rose high filled my screen. The fact that she actually also went to Rose high bamboozled me. She was in her final year of study of architecture and she was top of her class. Those were not the Kind of information you usually find out about a girl who wears mini skirts and black dress half the time.

I rolled over to relax on my bed when I heard the clicks of a key opening the lock and I was petrified. I straight away closed the laptop and sat pretty on the bed like an angel. Door open and it was Hailey bringing me my keys because I left it in her bag. That bag of hers. That one good reliable bag of hers. We bought it two years ago at the mall. It was one of its kind. A red parda bag that makes you feel Prada to hold it. It was sleek, classic, of perfect size with multiple zipped compartments, destined to never go out of style.

"So what were you doing? You looked shocked when I entered." she said suspiciously.
"It is nothing really. I was just doing my infamous online check on Riley".
"That explains a lot! Well I was also doing my own little digging around about Riley"

"Really, girl you move faster than a Lamborghini. Spill the tea!"
"I have heard a great deal, but this is the juiciest. She has this boyfriend that she is super obsessed about. She keeps bragging about him day and night. I heard that boy is as fine as wine and as handsome as a prince."

"Even if he is so handsome, I am sure that he is a jerk like all of them."
"You are only saying that because you were so heartbroken the last time you attempted dating. Not all guys are jerks. Axel is God sent."
"I mean all guys except Axel and Daddy."

"That what you say now. When someone comes and sweeps you off your feet, you will be singing a different tune".

"Oh please. As if," I said nonchalantly, but inwardly I was still a hopeless romantic.

Image: Goodyear Police Department (Facebook)

Vote and Comment!