Chapter 8: Small Talks

Avy sat in the garden staring into space with hot cocoa in front of her, still wearing her pajamas. She wasn't able to sleep after she dreamt of the owner of the body's past and her mood wasn't any better. She was frowning while resting her chin on her knuckle as her elbow was on top of the table.

"Where's the old man who takes care of these plants by the way?" she asked her maid who was standing behind her, combing her hair.

"Sir Hanson was called to check the other estates' gardens Mi'lady. Do you need something from him?"

"No."

The little change in Avy's mood didn't go unnoticed by Mariel, she knew that her lady's behavior was different ever since she woke up that morning. She hesitated to ask, after all, she was just a new maid, she was not sure if the lady's recent behavior was her actual self or a whim that would eventually change.

"By any chance... Is there something the matter, my lady?"

"Or perhaps, did something happen yesterday?"

Avy raised her brow, she was a little surprised. She thought her personal maid was nothing but a cheerful and bubbly woman. She was quite perceptive and not as dense as she thought she was.

"Your clothes had some smudge of blood near the hem of the dress. And I saw no wounds in your body when I changed you into your nightwear." Mariel explained which piqued her lady's interest. Avy looked behind her back, her chin still on top of her palm with a small grin plastered on her face.

"What if I just had a nosebleed?" she asked

"W-was I wrong?" the Maid stuttered as she asked with hesitation.

"Answer my question first."

Mariel was hesitant and too embarrassed to answer, but nevertheless, opened her mouth to speak.

"Normally, One would wipe the blood with a handkerchief, if not, their hand, then wipe it on their clothes. But it would be a hassle to bend down and wipe it near the hem of the skirt My Lady."

"Then what does the blood means?"

"It can be an indication that miss went to a place where there is an injured person or animal, or even an object with blood on it." Avy was amused to see her maid being somewhat confident about her answer.

"What if I just passed by and didn't notice the blood?"

Mariel shook her head. "It would not be possible miss since the blood is in front of the skirt. And if you stopped in front of a blood-stained object, it would be a little cleaner, without smudges. It can only mean you crouched down since the blood is not only in one place but it also looked like stained while your dress is wrinkled."

"Wow. You're sharp. You could be more than just a maid, why are you serving someone like me anyway?" Avy told her, taking a sip from the hot cocoa in the table.

"S-someone like you My lady? You would be the second-highest woman in the Empire if the Empress were alive. You shouldn't belittle your position, Miss."

"I know I'm perfect. You don't need to remind me. But you could've gone to ladies with nice manners. You know what I mean?"

Mariel laughed softly, hearing the infamous bratty lady of the Powerful Duchy indirectly admit that she has the attitude is quite unnerving, much more in front of a maid like her. The rumors that she's blunt and straightforward seems to be true no matter where she looked at it.

"But I'm happy to serve you, My Lady." she responded with a bright smile, only to be returned with a deadpanned face by the Lady herself.

"And I really hope to learn more about Miss, if you would allow me to."