Chapter 26: The Unfortunate

"My Lady!!!"

The shouts of the knights filled the air. Hearing the groans of pain of the Dukedom's princess coming from the balcony made the atmosphere way more chaotic than it already was. They all know the catastrophe that would befall them if even a single tiny wound makes its way on the precious girl's body.

Luviene was the most distressed of them all. No matter how much he wanted to storm inside the mansion and beat the living daylights out of the filthy criminal, he couldn't take his eyes off the Lady. He was afraid he might not be able to see her in good condition once he shifts his attention away. It was already an embarrassment that they let the prisoner run loose, if Lady Avy gets hurt, they would be ashamed that they wouldn't be able to call themselves knights ever again.

"N-no one move! Or else I will slit this girl's throat!" the criminal shouted. He had his arms wrapped around Avy's shoulder, the sharp blade of a dagger was on her throat, one wrong move, and her blood would spill everywhere like a waterfall.

Luviene frowned deeply. There's nothing he could do but to comply. If only he was near the both of them, he could take the criminal on without endangering Avy's life. But they're at a disadvantage. All they could do was wait for the Duke, hoping that the lady leaves unscathed.

'Just where In the world are you, Warde?'

~~~

"P-please, spare me. Your Grace. I was only forced to lead the rebellion. I swear!" Count Delahim pleaded non-stop. He doesn't want to spend his life holed up inside the prison known for driving prisoners insane. Even the ones with a tough mentality couldn't take it and ended up begging the Duke to be killed.

Out of desperation, a stupid idea entered his mind. He shamelessly crawled towards the Duke and took his hand. He was shaking, chills took over his body. Why is his hand so damn cold? Nevertheless, he started begging pitifully.

"I-I will do anything. I will surrender all the rebels. J-just spare my life, Your Grace. I will dedicate my life to serving you-" but he wasn't able to continue, thanks to the knight pointing their swords at him. He had no choice but to let go or else his head would fly off, if not, he would surely lose one of his limbs.

The Duke slightly grimaced. A hint of disgust and disapproval showed on his face before it went back to its usual stone-cold look. Heavens. He was dirtied by living filth. One of the knights handed him a piece of cloth which he took before wiping his hands clean. Everyone would be amazed how he could still act so prim and proper in that kind of situation. But then again, it was given knowing he came from the bloodline of walking icebergs.

Count Delahim cried on the ground. Pleading to be saved. But none of his pleas seemed to have reached the ears of the Duke.

"As I figured. No one would follow a pathetic man." he stated. "Get this thing out of my sight." he ordered, and just a second later, the count filled the room with his screams. This is why he hates taking part in interrogations. The loud voices of the prisoners give him a headache. Usually, he would've left this kind of job to Rohan, the Warden and the one in charge to make the criminals spill everything using his way of torturing them mentally to the point that they would lose their sanity. But treason is a crime that cannot be taken lightly. May it be a little problem from the far lands away from the capital, or a mere joke made by citizens. They cannot simply let it pass. The Duke had to deal with it personally. How unfortunate.

Duke Alton with a composed expression, watched the man as he was being pulled by the knights out of the room. But then, the doors burst open.

"Your Grace!" a knight, as far as he knows, someone from the squad who arrested the rebels, shouted.