25. Innocent until proven guilty

Ben
Lying in bed every morning was starting to become a routine. Ever since Lisa left, I couldn't bring myself or rather motivate myself to get up and get the day going. The days were long, and the nights were lonely. Just as they were before. I couldn't care less about my wellbeing. I just wanted to know where Lisa was, and whether she was safe.

I shouldn't have let her leave. But what was I supposed to do? Force her to live with the one person she despised more than anyone? How could I possibly do that to her, to us. Truth was, she wasn't the only one miserable, I had been miserable for months now. Having her here, eased the pain a little. Obviously, the circumstances behind her stay weren't ideal, but just the mere thought of having her sleeping in the same house, brought back all the old memories, the good ones that is.

My mind drifted back to that night, when I finally got to taste her again. I remembered it all even though I was drunk out of my mind. They way her hands trembled when I touched her sensitive parts, the way her skin felt beneath me, and the beautiful yet arousing sensation of her folds surrounding my c*ck. I was getting hard just thinking about that night.

That night gave me all the confirmation I needed. I knew she hated me for what I put her through. But I also knew that there was a thin line between hate and love, and I needed her to choose the latter. However, I knew that no matter what her feelings where towards me, our sexual chemistry couldn't be compared to anyone else's, and that was something that I knew I would need to hold on to.

My pager rang for the 3rd time this morning. I was surprised it hadn't run out of battery. I was supposed to resume my work duties today. Not like I had anything better to do. But I just couldn't be bothered. Work was the last thing on my mind right now. My priority was Lisa. I needed to know if she was okay.

The doorbell rang and for a second I contemplated on dismissing it. I wasn't in the right mindset of having a conversation, with anyone. But then the thought that it just might be Lisa, altered my decision without a second thought.

I leaped out of bed, unbothered about the state of my appearance. Maybe she came back. Or maybe she forgot something. Maybe she wants to work things out. I wasn't that crazy to believe the latter.

I was met with disappointment when I opened the door to officer Rogers. He didn't even try to hide the disapproved look on his face at my appearance. I couldn't blame him. I was a mess.

"Officer, come in", I said hesitantly. If he thought my personal hygiene was lacking, he was about to find out the true horror of the state of my house.

I grimaced as I saw him glancing at the empty beer cans on the sofa. This wasn't a good look for me. And yet, I couldn't give a sh*t.

"Erm", I said as I cleared my voice, hoping to distract him from seeing the empty whiskey bottles in the sink. "Any new developments?".

"I was hoping to speak to Ms Dunn about that actually". Dunn. That hurt more than it should have. I should have gotten over it by now, but it was the little things that ruined my soul.

"Yeah, about that". I bit the inside of my cheeck as I debated on how to avoid making myself look like a d*ck. I had one job, ONE job, and I blew it.

"We sort of had an argument", I started. "And she left".

"Left", he questioned with a raised eyebrow. "As in, she changed residence?".

"I'm not entirely sure", I said as I scratched the nape of my neck.

"You're not sure?", he replied. "Your wife .. ex-wife's killer is on the loose, and you don't know where she is?".

I sighed, punching myself internally. "Look Rogers, I'm sure you've noticed tension between the two of us."

I contemplated pouring my heart out to the complete and utter stranger standing before me, just to see if it would make things better. But I decided against it, especially since he was here regarding Lisa's case.

"I couldn't stop her from leaving. I'd be breaking the law if I did".

He narrowed his eyes and straightened his lips. "The least you could have done was inform us. We would have sent out a search warrant".

I lowered my gaze. "I don't think you understand", I started. "She left because she wanted to get away from me. She left willingly".

"Yeah I understand alright, and seeing the state of you, I'm not sure I blame her".

I guess there was no beating around the bush with officer Rogers.

"Do you have any idea where she might be?"

"The only place I could think of was her best friend, Lydia. I already checked, she isn't there".

"Where do her family live?", he asked once again as he began jotting down notes on his notepad.

"About 100 miles from here. That's the last place she'd probably be".

"Alright then. Thank you for your cooperation Mr Martinez", he said as he began walking out.

"Woah woah, that's it? What about the updates on the case? Did you find a suspect?".

"I really can't discuss the details of this case with you. I'm sure you can understand, with Ms Dunn no longer residing with you, things are a little more complicated ".

"Yeah, I get that. But can you atleast just reassure my mind that whoever hurt her, will soon be put to justice".

"Mr Martinez, I don't think you fully understand the nature of my last statement", he began. The sly look on his face didn't go unnoticed.

"Where were you the night Ms Dunn got attacked?".

It was now my turn to narrow my eyes at him. I could feel my blood start to boil. "You think I would rape her? You think I'm a f*cking monster?", I spat out.

"You didn't answer the question".

I was now regretting answering the door. His accusations were non essential , and he knew that.

"I was at a party. I have witnesses", I said with gritted teeth.

"Of course you do". There goes that coy smile again. The one I wanted to wipe off his face in an instant.

"You have yourself a good day Mr Martinez".

I didn't walk him out. He's lucky I didn't throw him out. In fact, he's lucky he's an officer working on Lisa's case, otherwise, that conversation would have turned sour very quickly.

I reached for a bottle of tequila and took my first shot. I didn't want to think anymore. I just wanted to pass out and forget everything.

Forget the fact that I failed Lisa once again.
And forget the fact that I was potentially a suspect.

____________________________________
Do you guys think Ben would ever hurt Lisa?

Stay tuned to find out ;)