Fifty Three

"when someone you love becomes a memory the memory becomes treasure

"when someone you love becomes a memory the memory becomes treasure."
–––
a few months later

Alexis Carter
April 16, 2002 - March 12, 2020
Daughter, sister, cousin, niece, friend
we will never forget you

I take a deep breath as I stand in front of her grave. I put the white rose I brought and put it down.

I haven't been here since the funeral, and I don't know how to act.

For the past few months, I have been either locked up in my room or at Grayson's house. My mom has been getting mad at me since my grades are dropping but I couldn't care less.

I was like this when Dad died, and she doesn't like seeing me like this.

Elijah finally knows that Alexis is gone. He hugged me and we ended up just falling asleep on my bed.

I don't think he knows how to react.

"Hey," I stated and squat so that I was right in front of her stone. "We're finally high school graduates," I stated and smiled at her gravestone as if it was her. "We did it. Now we got to face life. Ethan would probably say we have to grab life by the balls and make it our own." I joked.

I feel an ache in my heart when I don't hear her laugh or her response to what Ethan would say.

"The guys miss you a lot. Willow is trying to pretend she is okay, but we know she isn't. Ethan and Mathew are still trying to be the stupid idiots they are. Grayson is doing his own thing and just taking care of Melody. And I finally told Elijah you were gone. He is sad."

Just wish I could feel her touch. I wish I could hug her and see her beautiful smile again.

"And you're probably wondering how I am. The first few weeks without you were hard. I got into a fight with Robin. I went into your room like a stalker and read some of your stuff, hope you don't mind." I nope at my lip and try not to cry. "I just wish you were here. I wish that I could talk to you and hug you again. I don't want to let you go." A tear falls from my eyes. "Fuck." I whispered.

I even got a tattoo of dedication to her.

It's on my arm. It's an angel with a paper that says, 'thank you for saving me'.

"I wish I didn't call you. I wish I could have just slept in for a little longer while you drive to school. It's all my fault and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry and I will be saying sorry till the day I die. You would probably tell me not to blame myself, but I can't help it. I wish I could go back in time and fix all of this."

I then feel a hand on my shoulder, and I look behind me and see Wes. He had a small bouquet of red roses in his hand and then a 'congratulations grad' balloon.

I stand up and look at Wes.

Wes and I haven't had a civil conversation in a long time.

But I finally understand why he wouldn't want me to race. He is afraid I'll end up like his family so instead of keeping me close he distances himself so that he wouldn't have any more to lose.

Wes moves to the side, and he places the roses on her grave, and then lets it go to float in the air.

"I'm sorry," Wes says as he stares at Alexis's grave. "I shouldn't force you to stop doing something because of my trauma and I feel terrible for it."

I stare down at him. "Racing is something my dad loved and I'm never going to stop it. But I understand why you wouldn't want me to race. You lost your family, and I wasn't respectful towards that." I stated.

"Are you going to keep racing?" Wes asked and he looked at me.

"Yes. My father loved it and Alexis loved it. I'm going to keep racing for the both of them but not in a dangerous way."

"Good cause I can't handle someone else I care about dying." Wes stands up. "You want to go do something?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Like what?"

Wes shrugged and he put his hands in his pockets. "How about go eat first? I haven't had a good meal in a while."

I nodded my head and Wes said goodbye to Alexis. He told me he will give me some space for me to say goodbye.

I look at Alexis's grave and I walk closer. "I love you, Alexis. I will never stop." I stated. "Until we meet again angel."

-THE END-

AUTHORS NOTE
I hope you all liked the story! I know I am a horrible person for making this ending but I didn't see any other ending for Alexis. She was always meant to have her family's fate so that she is with them. But I really hoped you liked it.

I wrote this story to talk a little bit about PTSD and just mental health in general. A lot of the characters in the story struggle with mental health so I wanted to shine light on that. Mental Health is important to me so if you ever need someone to just talk to or rant to message me if you feel comfortable!

Thank you guys all so much for the love and support for this story. It makes me so happy to see your guys tiktoks about Kayden and Alexis and also your sweet comments. I appreciate each and every one of you! 🤍