Chapter 16: Secrets

I was still slightly flustered after Iban and I's conversation but snapped out of it soon enough when I realized that nothing good would come out of my overthinking. However, I did pause on his statement about making up with Caiden. It wasn't that I didn't want to make up with Caiden, it was just that I knew the moment I tried to, I would be forced to watch over him again and I wouldn't be able to rest and be by myself. My desire to have time to myself was almost overpowering my desire to find Caiden and to make amends. Almost.

Well, that, and the thought that I would have to face him and have a heart to heart with him. It wasn't something that I was particularly accustomed to, but I knew it had to be done. Unfortunately, I was still learning that different people needed different things. In the past, I never spoke with anyone and moved out of my house at a very young age to just get away from the people who tormented me. However, through that experience, I realized that I could probably never be truthful and honest and express myself in front of people like everyone wanted. I didn't find this particularly all that sad. Mostly because I never really was interested in or loved anyone. Due to my family, I thought that anyone I got close to would end up hurting me in the end, and I was actually pretty satisfied just living by myself anyway, so I wasn't particularly disheartened at the thought. Now, I didn't really have my family to blame for my problems and poor communication skills, but instead, my own issues and actions which scared me more than my previous situation.

Despite all of that, I found myself standing before Caiden's room, my heart beating slightly erratic as I struggled to find the words to say. However, I didn't really need to say anything, as I heard Caiden's voice come through from the other side:

"Get in, Alan." It was rough and curt, probably indicating that he was still angry with me from our previous conversation. I found myself stuck, upset that he figured out that it was me despite how quiet I was being. However, I ultimately just chose to enter, nodding at the knights that stood beside his door.

Caiden's room was very lavish, fitting for a king. The room was probably the size of a single-story home, with a bed on the far left lofted up three steps on a wooden slab. And the bed itself was the size of two king beds put together, abnormally large considering Caiden hardly ever got any sleep. To the right were a couple of couches surrounding a coffee table, which had papers placed on it. Additionally, there were two bookshelves on the wall on either side of an unlit fireplace. Lastly, across from the door was a desk, where Caiden mostly sat to eat and relax, only occasionally doing work. For the most part, he never allowed himself to work in his bedroom, wanting the option to keep his "Caiden" and "King Caiden" sides apart as much as possible. So far, the only times he has had to work in his bedroom were with emergency calls and summons.

Right behind the desk were two glass doors that led outside to a balcony. The balcony was protected by magic (due to my insistence) and overlooked a forested area leading towards the Voutia Kingdom. You couldn't see the Kingdom from this distance, but whenever they held parties, you could hear their chatter and music carrying throughout the forest. Caiden said he liked to listen to them, which was why I couldn't fully convince him to stop hanging out on the balcony, despite it being dangerous not knowing what was lurking outside. That was why I had to place a spell on the balcony to ensure that if something came flying at him, he wouldn't be attacked right away, and instead would have to opportunity to run away.

That was where he stood now, dressed in a dark blue cotton pair of pants and a white button-up. His feet were bare and pale in the light and he had them crossed while he leaned against the right balcony door. His hair was down and a little damp on the ends, blowing lightly in the summer air. His back was turned towards me, but he looked lightly at me over his left shoulder, watching as I shut the doors behind me and stood before them. Once I was in, his head turned back to look outside, leaning against the door frame. I paused at the entrance, looking around at the clothes that littered the floor and the books that were scattered across the desk. He didn't like having maids around when he was here, but he did allow them in the room to clean while he was away, which was probably why he didn't really care to clean up.