Chapter 31: A Plea

TW: There are a few trigger warnings I want to hash out just in case. There are slight hints of sexual activities being done throughout this chapter, there is a mention of someone exploding, and some mentions of Zing coming to terms with knowing his own death, so if any of that is too heavy for you, it is not super important to read this chapter. This is mostly one where I kinda flush out Romand and Zing's relationship more. I'll be sure to have a summary below of some of the most important stuff so read that if any of this is too overwhelming. Stay safe!

"You've been writing in the code a lot, is everything okay?" I put my pen down and spun around in my seat, watching my lover put on his mage cloak and look outside the window as a bird flew by. I stood up to help fix his collar, then wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his shoulder.

"Yeah, everything is fine," I drawled. Romand hit my arm a few times, indicating that I should let go, but I didn't want to. Instead, I drew him in closer, leaning to nibble on his neck, causing a gasp to escape his lips. His body lurched forward to escape, but I held on tighter and laughed into his neck; which had a blush that moved up as he tried to turn and glare at me.

"I've got to go," he whined, still trying to shake me off. However, all I could feel was the flutter of my heart, and I just held onto him tighter.

"You can't even stay one more hour?" I asked moving closer so that he could feel every inch of me. He gasped and froze, his body tightening up at the feeling. He didn't say anything as my hand moved down and over his stomach, feeling it twitch slightly as I touched it.

"One more hour?" he whispered; his voice strained. I smiled lightly and nodded, gripping his earlobe between my teeth as I dragged him towards the bed.

***

Either way, it didn't take a genius to know that the disaster would take place during a time of celebration. Humans are predictable that way, always finding the most convenient times to betray those that have helped them.

I tried my best to warn those around me of the disaster that would be coming. But of course, no one wanted to believe that the humans would go against them, considering the long and good history we had with them at the time. However, I knew that something would happen, (of course I did), and I was doing everything in my power to figure out how to change it—trying to urge the demons and Romand to stay on guard, finding ways to put protection spells around the plaza where the ceremony would be held so that I could try and stop the humans from making too much of a disaster on our land.

However, nothing could've prepared me for the real thing.

The ceremony started off great, there was a lot of laughter and fun activities; humans and demons alike came together to celebrate. And, for a long time, nothing bad happened. I wandered around with Romand for so long, enjoying the atmosphere, that I started to think that it had all been a bad dream. That was probably why I panicked so much when it started to happen. It was precisely midnight when it started. I know that not all the humans were in on it, as some of their screams mixed in the those of the demons. I watched as in front of me two of my comrades were struck down, leaving me to grasp Romand's hand and get out of there. I had an idea in my head before it began on what I was going to do. I would stand and fight, urging demons and humans alike to get behind me as I struck down those who wish to do harm. But at the moment, as I watched more and more of my comrades and foes alike getting killed before me, the only thing I could think of was the image of Romand getting struck down by the human.

It felt like I was in autopilot, as I grabbed Romand's hand and started to drag him off into the woods. I wasn't headed towards my father's cabin, instead, I went the opposite way. I wasn't sure where I was going, but I knew that if I had taken Romand there, he would die, and I couldn't let that happen.