Chapter 42

"Remind us to be on our incognito outfits the next time we go on a date at some diner. It was pretty intense this time." I commented lightly as I turned on the cooler in his car.

Adrian was silent for a while, but as he spoke, the words flew like razors. "Will there be a next time though?" He asked coldly.

I blinked in shock at his complete turn of mood. "What the hell are you talking about, Adrian? You don't want there to be a next time?" I asked, fearing a little that he'd answer in an affirmative.

He clenched his jaw in response. "It's not about me, Eve. It's about you. I think you don't want there to be a next time given that we're just friends." He mocked the last two words and I couldn't help the irritation building inside me.

"Are we seriously arguing about this? On our first date?"

"We wouldn't be arguing if you had told them the truth."

I turned my body towards him- as much as the seat belt let me- and crossed my arms, looking at him inquisitively. "And what, pray tell, is this truth you're talking about?"

"The truth that we're together now and not just friends."

I sighed. "I can't believe you're whining about that! It doesn't matter what we tell to the media. We know what's between us and that's all matters!" I tried making him see the reason but the thick skulled devil of a man that I lo- liked more than necessary had made up his mind about not listening to me at all.

"Exactly. If it doesn't matter what they think, why hide the truth? Eve, I've finally got you after all these years and I'm not willing to hide you from the world like you're my dirty secret!"

I shifted a little and rested my hand over his on the center console. I squeezed it gently, smiling a little when I felt his body relax a little. "Adrian, I understand what you're talking about. But think about it, we've just gotten together. We need to focus on making our relationship stronger for now. If the media gets a hang of it, we wouldn't have a moment for ourselves. Our every exposure will be interfered by the paps and I don't want it. I want the next few days to be dedicated for us, and us only. I want to know you better. We'll tell the world when we're ready."

We stopped at the red light and I realized that we were almost at my office. Beside me, Adrian released a breath and covered my hand with his another. Sneakily, he leaned down and pressed his lips to mine for a brief second before pulling away. The small gesture spoke volumes and I sagged against his arm, feeling relieved that he'd understood.

"I'm sorry I've been foolish. It's just... I don't like the thought of not being able to show our relationship off to the world. But you're right. I understand. We'll wait for however long it takes before making it official. Forgive me?" He peered down at my eyes with a roguish smile which I couldn't help but return.

I bit my lip, watching in satisfaction as his eyes followed the action but the lights turned green just as he leaned down once more. I laughed at his groan. "Forgive you? Hmm... let's see. It depends, actually. Will you let me ride this car?" I tried again, casting him a hopeful glance.

Adrian rolled his eyes at this. "You're not letting it go, are you?" He let out a resigned sigh. I shook my head violently and smiled innocently at him as tingles rose up my spine when he returned the smile with a bright one of his own, clearly showing his dimples which were otherwise not as prominent. But unlike all those other times, I no longer ignored the feeling but reveled in it.

"Alright, I gotta go work. Thank you for the lunch, Addie. It was a lovely first date." I commented as we reached my office. Adrian, as usual, held the passenger door out for me. My heart gave out an excited, happy lurch when he flashed me another one of his dimples, his eyes alighting like Christmas lights at the name I called him.