Chapter 17

"He's my son

"He's my son."

"She's my sister."

Both of their words left at the same time from their mouths as they faced each other in horror. The expression on their faces reflected both shock and disbelief.

The cigarette fell from Hamza's hand and the stilled water drop on the damped grass beneath extinguished the burning peak of the nicotine-filled rolled paper.

Hamza's mouth dropped wide open. He was too baffled to grasp the new revelation and his posture stiffened. He could hear his own breathing and the heartbeat was like a wild drummer's echoed drumming sound in all silence.

A tidal wave of emotions flowed inside him and the corner of his eyes twitched habitually as it did whenever his body went against him. The emotions that he never wanted to feel till his existence of breath and the memories he never wanted to brought back, swiftly and with all glory slid inside his sense. The stone-hearted man wasn't strong enough when the certitude arrow didn't miss its aim and shot right through his weakness that he buried deep inside him a decade ago.

"Pari...she is Pari. No, she couldn't be Pari. How can she be that chubby little girl? Could it be that she has changed this much throughout the years? But...but her innocent eyes and dimpled smile are still there. Was it the reason why I was intrigued since the moment I saw her?" His source of thoughts went on. He was surprised by how the years of memories could flash in a few seconds.

Amor's brows knitted and his eyes narrowed as he kept staring at his friend without blinking. He was thunderstruck by his friend's peculiar saying earlier.

He was the first one to come out from his perplexed self and coughed to bring back his lost friend's attention who seemed disturbed, drowned in thoughts.

Hamza was taken back from his thoughts by Amor and he turned to him, going back to his posture with an awkward cough.

"What do you mean by Zayn is your son?" When his shock wore off, Amor asked curiously.

Amor's question recaptured him from the current happening, and his fists balled in a tight grip as anger reloaded inside him.

"Yes. Za...Zayn is my son." He swirled the word Zayn around his tongue as it tasted strange to him but surprisingly in a good way.

"Zayn, my son. That's what she named him," he mumbled to himself.

Though he couldn't say the fact of knowing his son's name after two long years didn't hurt him. He felt a pang in his heart and a longing emotion grew inside him.

Amor didn't miss the actions of his friend and he was astonished by the emotions showing clearly on his all-go stoic face.

"How so?" Amor asked calmly.

Hamza faced him only to look away the next moment and the visibly clenched jaw from the side made Amor aware of his anger.

Hamza opened his mouth and all the words came out through clenched teeth as if they were bearing out the fury with which his body was burning.