+ chapter eleven +

Project X

All Rights Reserved

© 2015 Luna Black

~*~

Warning: There is a lot of information in this chapter, read it carefully and if it still doesn't make sense, ask me. Re-read if need be, please, because some of you ask me questions that I answered in the story and get into arguments with me because you didn't read carefully.

The smell of cooked chicken filled the kitchen, making Alexa's stomach growl in complain. She lifted the pot's lid to check the rice and picked up a little grain to squeeze it between her fingers. It was soft indicating that the rice was done and she let out a sigh of relief.

She was starving and she didn't know that cooking criollo food was going to take her so long. When Luis, her mother's boyfriend, cooked Latino food for them, he always seemed to take less than an hour, but when she was doing it, she thought a millennia had gone by.

After tasting the rice to make sure it had enough salt, she turned the stove off and checked the chicken in the oven. The tasty scent of the chicken smacked into her, making her groan in hunger and she closed the door, hoping that Xander wouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to arrive.

Alexa walked towards the fridge and pulled out the litre of soda and cups to place on the table. Just as she turned back around to grab ice cubes, Xander opened the door and breathed in deeply.

"What are you making?" He closed his eyes, the scent making his mouth water in delight.

She grinned at him, leaning against the counter as he walked towards her and said, "Hispanic food."

"You are Hispanic?"

"Nah," she shook her head, "my mom's boyfriend is, though and he always cooked for us and I fell in love with the food."

He nodded, taking another whiff. "It smells delicious. What is it called?"

"Arroz con gandules y pollo," She spoke slowly, trying not to twist her tongue and make a fool out of herself.

Xander chuckled at her and said, "Your Spanish is terrible."

She rolled her eyes, pushing him towards the sink to wash his hands and said, "I never said I spoke Spanish! I took it for four years in high school and just learned how to say my name."

He shook his head, looking down at his hands as he rinsed the soap off them and said, "Learning a second language is a bit complex. That is why it is best to start teaching kids at a young age. In my planet, we start teaching them in the womb."

Alexa narrowed her eyes, taking out a piece of chicken to place on his plate and handed it to him. "It's just the United States. All the other countries start teaching them at an earlier age."

"Are you saying that we should have chosen another country to mate with?" He smirked.

"No," she blurted out quickly, feeling her cheeks turn a dark colour and stuttered, "I-I mean...I just...I'm American, okay? You wouldn't have met me if you had gone somewhere else."

Xander kissed her temple as he took out the chair for her to sit and walked around the table to his seat. "We offered to mate with the other countries, but the United Nations opposed it. Since the island is closer to North America, the UN placed the American President in "charge" of us. Essentially, if we ever were to start a war with the humans, the United States would have to send most of their men, not the other nations."

She nodded, taking a sip of her soda before she grabbed her fork and said, "So, there are only American women here?"

"As in citizens?" He raised his eyebrows at her. "All the women we have present are citizens of the United States, but they have different ethnicities. There are Asians present, African-Americans, Latinos, Indians, and of course Caucasians."