Chapter Three

While it shouldn't have surprised me, I was a little perturbed to find out that Detective Merrickson had no further information for us on the great chicken massacre. Under normal circumstances, I am quite even-keeled, but to have some stranger accuse members of my family of slaughtering livestock with no proof rankled me.

At least I had a party to take my mind off of things—well, a kid's birthday, but a party nevertheless.

Jimmy Grabowski's event was held the next day at the pavilion in NettlesPark, the largest shapeshifter-friendly park in Western Massachusetts. While the grounds were set up with my kind in mind, anyone could come and enjoy all that the park had to offer—they just had to be aware that very large predators were around every corner.

Rachael and I arrived on time and greeted the birthday boy, who threw his arms around our waists and gave us the biggest hugs. Seeing Jimmy so happy lifted my grouchy spirits. Kids were so resilient and it was heartening to see that he had bounced back so quickly after his ordeal. The only outward sign of what he suffered was a small white streak at the top of his head.

After leaving our presents on a balloon-festooned table, Mrs Grabowski took us on a whirlwind introduction of all of Jimmy's relatives. Everyone wanted to thank us for finding him and that gratitude extended from bone-crushing hugs to full-on weeping. By the time Rachael and I sat down at an unoccupied picnic table, I was mentally exhausted. It seemed that everyone had questions about the Gate stones, but I had no more answers for them then the scientists and witches.

"Hey," Rachael said, giving me a nudge. My younger cousin was a taller, more enthusiastic version of myself. She had the same black Michaels hair and purple shapeshifter eyes, but unlike me, she shifted into a wolf.

"I'm gonna get some snacks. Do you want any?" She jerked a thumb at a large table filled with soda, juice, water and all sorts of finger foods.

I never said no to food. "Sure," I said, stomach rumbling on cue.

Grinning, Rachael patted me on the shoulder and walked away, leaving me to watch the kids play on the nearby playscape.

No sooner had my cousin slipped away then a young woman around my age plunked down on the bench next to me.

"Hey there," she greeted.

Oh, God, here we go again. "Hello," I replied with a tight little smile.

"Hey, so ... you're the shapeshifter, right? The one who brought my nephew back? I'm Emma Endel."

I studied the young woman; she bore a passing resemblance to Mrs Grabowski and their police officer brother, I supposed. She was tall and slender, so tiny that her tank top and shorts looked as if she'd picked them up in the kid's section of the department store. Her white-blonde hair was straightened to within an inch of its life and styled in a half-up, half-down arrangement.

"One of them," I agreed. "My cousin Rachael was also there with me."

"Cool. Hey, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure ...?" I braced myself for another round of repetitions, but Emma surprised me.

"I started seeing this werewolf last month, but I'm not sure if what he's telling me is true."

A bell went off in my head. It couldn't be this easy, could it? "Your boyfriend ... he doesn't happen to shift into a red wolf, does he?"

Emma frowned suspiciously. "No, he's this grey-brown color. Why? Do you know Kyle Sorum?"

"Sorum? Oh, no," I replied hastily as she stared challengingly at me. The universe wasn't going to throw me a bone, apparently. I did recognize the last name as being from a clan up in Adams, however. "My, uh, best friend's brother said he was dating a blonde woman. He's a red wolf."