Chapter Eight

"How do these work?" Kesio asked as we approached my car. He wore an old jacket of Richard's over his elven garb and one of my father's Red Sox baseball caps pulled down over his pointed ears. Never in a thousand years would I have thought my brother and the crown prince were the same size, but then again, I never looked at Richard the way I sometimes caught myself looking at Kesio.

"I spied their movements from the train, but I have yet to see one up close."

"Well, you have a motor that's powered by electricity and gasoline that makes the car move." I tapped the hood of the blue sedan. "That's the basics." I hoped he didn't expect me to break down the exact mechanics of a combustion engine because he was going to be sorely disappointed. If he was still interested later, I'd have him ask Richard.

"Curious," Kesio murmured, leaning over the hood.

I popped the locks with my fob and slid into the driver's seat, tossing my purse onto the backseat. Kesio took a minute to join me, eyeing the interior with a mixture of confusion and interest.

"It's very cramped in here, is it not?"

I glanced around, then shrugged. "Maybe by your standards, but it's pretty roomy by human ones." What was he expecting, anyway? Something the size of a royal carriage?

"Hmm," he mused. "And your mother does not find it improper for you to be near a non-relative?" The corner of his lips lifted in a suggestive grin.

My hand paused mid-way to the ignition. Sweet baby Jesus—he was relentless. Dropping the keys in my lap, I twisted towards the prince. "Look," I said, staring into his stupid, handsome face, "enough, okay? Enough."

Kesio's eyebrows rose and he leaned back slightly in surprise, the smile quickly turning into a frown.

"Stop trying to get me to fall in love with you or whatever it is you're doing. It's not going to work. And frankly, I find it pathetic." Gritting my teeth, I snatched up the keys and jammed one into the ignition, cranking the car into life with a little more force than was necessary.

It gave me a little thrill of satisfaction to watch the crown prince of Summer flinch as the car started. But that unease was short-lived.

"Did you just call the Crown Prince of Summer 'pathetic'?"

Hit a nerve again, didn't I? Well, he wasn't going to intimidate me—not on my turf. "I don't think you're pathetic," I said, struggling not to roll my eyes, "but I think this game that you're playing is. I think you need to break yourself of the notion that every woman finds you irresistible."

Kesio snorted and folded his arms. "They do. Who wouldn't want to be with a prince?"

I gave a short, barking laugh. "Not me." Not the kind of prince he was, anyway.

Kesio's frown deepened.

"Look, I don't have to take you into town. You can stay here and I can go run my errands. I'm sure your mother will be thrilled."

I could see reflected in his eyes the hamsters that powered his brain struggling to process what I was saying. His frown deepened.

"No, I'll go with you."

"Then you better cut your shit."

"Excuse me?" Kesio's eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"Stop being an asshole."

The Crown Prince of Summer drew a deep breath and exhaled through his nose like a Spanish bull. "Fine. I will be a gentleman."