⠀⠀10. heart-to-heart⠀⠀

Y/N WOKE UP in a room she didn't recognise

The first things she noticed were the forest-green tiles, the unique colour catching her attention. Then, her eyes moved to the various mahogany cabinets on the wall across from her, and finally to the surgical supplies laid out on the table beneath.

Where am I?

Her head ached, but unable to remember most of the prior day's events, she couldn't figure out why.

Had she gotten drunk, perhaps? She'd never been the type to drink—not even on occasions like New Years, when practically everyone made toasts—but there was no other explanation for the pounding in her head that she could think of.

She considered getting up and looking around at her surroundings in hopes of figuring out her location, but just as the thought crossed her mind, the door creaked open the slightest bit, a woman with a black bob accessorised with a gold, butterfly-shaped barrette popping her head into the room, magenta eyes immediately landing on Y/N.

"Oh?" She entered the room, giving the girl a full view of her, including the lab coat she wore. "You're awake."

She moved towards the desk and slipped off her lab coat, draping it across the frame of the chair. The stethoscope was also removed from around her neck and placed onto the tabletop.

The woman then set herself down in the seat beside Y/N's bed, deciding to introduce herself before anything else. "Welcome to the infirmary of the Armed Detective Agency."

The Agency... So that's where I am.

"I'm Yosano Akiko," she continued, "But that's a bit of a mouthful, so call me Yosano for short."

Y/N recalled that name from one of her and Ranpo's conversations. If her memory served her correct, she remembered him telling her that Yosano was a doctor with a rare healing ability that inconveniently required her patients to be half-dead before she could heal them.

"That look on your face shows me you recognise me," Yosano mused. "I'm guessing Ranpo must've told you about me."

Y/N was surprised that the doctor had been able to figure her out by her expression. Then again, Ranpo was living proof that the Armed Detective Agency was filled with some amazing individuals.

"How are you feeling?" Yosano suddenly asked, catching the girl off guard.

Y/N frowned as she replied honestly. "My head hurts a little, but otherwise, I'm fine."

The doctor placed her elbows on the armrest of her seat. "Well, I suppose that's to be expected after all that crying yesterday."

Yesterday...? What had been yesterday?

And no sooner had she asked herself that question than the dam in her head suddenly burst, all the memories tumbling out, nothing short of a tsunami.

S/N... Yuriko...