Spiral

TW for torture, implications of rape (I want to emphasise that no rape takes place) and mentions of grooming. See end of the chapter for more information (Spoilers).

"Mila, you have to stop watching those videos." Nadia whispered from beside me, giving my arm a gentle squeeze.

"I can't." I replied, my eyes still glued to the third video Ghost had sent me.

It had been hours since I had received the first message. Hours since Nadia and Prince had retuned to the room, only to find me staring at the still blank screen, unable to explain what had happened.

My terror doubled each time a new video arrived, each stream worse than the last, growing more and more violent as Ghost and his gang attempted to extract information from Iago.

I couldn't help but stare at him now, slumped in his seat, his chin resting against his chest. His breathing was shallow, stuttering occasionally as he fought to inhale through the pain.

At first, I'd struggled to imagine what could have been worse than being branded, but as I opened the second video and the image of Iago, struggling, gurgling and choking as he was waterboarded, filled the screen, I began to realise that I had no idea what Ghost and his men were truly capable of. 

I wanted to scream at Iago. Get him to reveal everything, admit to what he had done rather than just sit there and take the pain. It was horrifying, almost as though he'd decided to accept whatever fucked up punishments Ghost had up his sleeve, as if he thought he deserved them.

Ghost responded to his passiveness with increasing fury. He was violent in the majority of his methods, his beatings brutal and unrestrained, and yet his love for psychological torment was unparalleled. He was constantly altering his tactics, analysing Iago's attempts to hide his reactions in such a calm manner that it was almost as though he saw breaking Iago as some sort of puzzle.

"Your girlfriend's real pretty, you know that?"

It was the first thing Ghost had said in a while.

Iago's head snapped up, his gaze unfocused as he stared up at his boss.

"Such a nice little dorm room she has." Ghost continued, a smirk appearing on his features. "Those fairy lights? Very cute."

There was a pause, almost as if Ghost's words were struggling to reach through the fog that was no doubt surrounding Iago's thoughts, before a frown began to mar his features.

"What did you do to her?" His words were slurred, blood filling his mouth from the shallow cuts that covered his face. "I swear to God Ghost, if you hurt her..."

Ghost's smirk grew, his eyes seeming to light up behind his balaclava.

"Oh Iago, we already have."

"What did you do to her?!" He screamed, attempting to surge up from his seat before he was forced back down again from behind.

"Nothing really. I mean she wasn't wearing much when we got there, just those pretty little pink shorts... I think you probably know how easy those are to take off."

Iago's whole body tensed, an expression of grief taking over his features for a split second before it was replaced by something almost feral.

"You piece of shit. You sick piece of shit!"

He was struggling now, fighting against the hands that held him.

"I'll fucking kill you, Ghost!"

"Mila, did he...?" Nadia's tentative voice asked from beside me, dragging my focus away from the screen. I'd almost forgotten she was there.

I shook my head no.