Chapter four

Chiron guided us through the plentiful strawberry fields, explaining how they used them to pay for the camp by selling them to restaurants in New York. Mr. D was the reason they flourished so much; plants just loved to grow for the guy. Apparently he wanted to grow grapes, but due to his restrictions, they resorted to strawberries.

"Chiron," Percy asked and Chiron stopped trotting, turning to look at the younger boy. "If the gods and Olympus are real... does that mean the Underworld is real too?"

"Yes, child," Chiron expression darkened. "There is a place spirits go after death. But for now, until we know more, I urge you to put that out of your mind."

My brows furrowed. "Until we know more?"

Chiron didn't respond to my question. He just glanced at me and sighed, saying, "Come on, kids. I still have more to show you."

The centaur led us towards the forest. Trees as far as you could see, so dense that it became super dark the farther you went in.

"Capture the flag is Friday night," Chiron said as he trotted down the wooded path. "Do you have your own swords and shields?"

Percy and I shared a confused glance. That was enough answer for Chiron apparently, because he said, "I don't suppose you two do. I'll visit the armory later."

"What kind of summer camp has an armory?" Percy whispered to me, the two of ur trailing behind Chiron.

"One that houses Half-Bloods," I muttered back.

We came out of the forest and walked around to see the rest of the camp. Among what I had seen before, there were also the javelin range and the stables - which Chiron obviously did not like.

As we passed the huge arena, a thought popped into my mind. "Is the arena used for sports matches?"

Chiron turned to look down at me. "Yes, in fact, but not your average high school sports. Usually sword and spear fights. The cabins like to challenge each other, but don't worry, they're never lethal."

I gulped. Would I end up sword fighting someone? I hoped not.

We began towards the cabins. There were twelve of them, arranged in a U shape, and they had the most amazing architecture I've ever seen for a camp cabin. Each one had a huge brass number above the door, up until twelve. And each cabin was personalized with a theme. Number four had tomato vines growing on the walls and a lawn of grass growing on the roof. Seven seemed to be made of solid gold; I had to squint my eyes in the sun to even look at it. Nine had smokestacks on it, like a little factory. In the center of the U was a field of grass about the size of a soccer field, decorated with gorgeous fountains and statues. In the center sat a huge stone lined fire pit. Despite it being hot and humid, a warm fire was smoldering, being tended to by a girl even younger than us.

In the very center of the U sat the most regal looking cabins. Cabin one was the biggest of them all, polished bronze with lightning streaks across the door that seemed to dance on the light. Cabin two was decorated with pomegranates and flowers, carved with gorgeous pictures of peacocks. They both had huge columns in front and looked made of marble. It was easy to assume that these cabins belonged to Zeus and Hera.

Zeus's was awfully intriguing to me. It was fitting that his was the largest. I felt a buzz like electricity coming off of it. I wanted to look inside, but I'm sure nothing but empty bunk beds would stare back at me. It looked empty.

"Those cabins look empty," Percy pointed out.

"Several of the cabins are, but you are correct. No one ever stays in one or two."