nine.

Heeseung stands in an awkward in-between area between the common room and the doors of the lecture hall, the notes in his arm weighing him down as he waits, his emotions a mix of nervousness and anticipation and worry and impatience all at once. It's been three days since the thing with Sunghoon, and though the other boy's replies have been slightly more frequent since then, something's off and he needs to figure out what.

"That'll be the end of today's lecture. Here's a reminder of the work due this week..."

He looks up as he hears the lecturer give her closing remarks, and as the doors open and students spill out from the hall he scans through the crowd for the only face he's looking for.

"Sunghoon!"

The boy looks over from where he is in the crowd of exiting students, overcoat still slung over his shoulder, not yet worn. As he catches sight of Heeseung he looks to someone beside him and says something quickly, and the person nods, heading in the opposite direction from them.

"Hello, Heeseung," he greets. "The Engineering classroom block is pretty far from the Arts faculties, why'd you walk all the way here?"

"Why did I walk all the way here? Are you seriously asking me that?"

Sunghoon's eyes widen and he looks taken aback, but he answers regardless. "Are you angry at me? Did I do something to upset you? I'm sorry."

"I'm not angry, I'm sorry for snapping at you." Heeseung runs his fingers through his hair, trying to compose his thoughts. "I just- I was so worried about you, and you don't usually do this and-"

The younger boy's expression softens visibly. "Thank you for worrying about me, baby. I was stressed about my coursework over the past week, and I haven't been in the best state. I'm sorry I made you worry."

"I was worried sick about you," Heeseung says softly. "You could have told me what was going on, at least. You usually do."

"I don't always need other people's help to get through things," Sunghoon smiles, but he's resolute. "I can handle things on my own sometimes. Want to have lunch with me? I have time before my next class."

"I'm sorry baby, I have practice now."

"It's okay, don't worry about it. Next time!"

As he walks back to the Music block Heeseung thinks about the Sunghoon he knew in high school who would come to him with every problem he had because he trusted his best friend to give him a solution, and he wonders how much things have changed over the course of the year without him realizing.