Chapter 8 || Did You Get My Cheetos?

𝐑 𝐎 𝐒 𝐀 𝐋 𝐈 𝐄 ' 𝐒    𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

Rows and rows of books fill my line of sight. Running my fingers across the spines of the books, as I walk through the rows, my eyes flicker across each title. The bookstore in central Boston is my sanctuary. It's somewhere I visit at least once a week.

Sometimes not even buying, as they have a section in the corner where you can sit and read a book. My focus, while half is occupied by the crafted books in front of me, is distracted by parent's voices on the other end of the phone, that is pressed against my ear.

"I need to worry that your father's rivalry with hockey players is rubbing off on you if you wore that jacket to teach the youth hockey group. Your father does not need a bigger ego that he already has," Mom sighs through the phone.

I chuckle, and before I can respond, I hear my dad's voice. "You're just jealous our daughter prefers me."

"Don't worry, mom. I got your love for reading," I tell her, as I pick out a book from the shelf and turn it over to read the blurb.

"What's with the sudden interest in helping the youth hockey team?" Dad questions suspiciously, and I bite my lip.

"Roman and I had a stupid bet and I lost so I have to help him out running the youth hockey group. Checking the kids in, you know, stuff like that." The lie passes through my lips. If they knew the real reason was because I got caught breaking and entering, that would not go down well.

My parents know about Roman and I's rivalry, considering I had to tell them about the car accident during the first year and the fact we were stuck with each other as lab partners. Then we had to work alongside each other for the professor.

"I don't know what I need to be more worried about. That you're helping a guy or that you might start to enjoy hockey," Dad mutters and I roll my eyes before putting the book back on the shelf and continuing to look.

"How are classes going, honey?" Mom changes the subject as I pick out another book before heading to the little reading area. Thankfully, it's empty, so it doesn't matter that I'm on the phone.

"They're going well. Still interning for the professor. Oh, and in my free time I have become an artist's muse. Cara wants me to be her model for one of her projects." I flick through the book, my eyes scanning the first few pages.

"Tell her I'm still expecting that portrait of your dad and I," Mom points out and I nod.

"I've already said, if we get a self-portrait, it has to be us naked," Dad teases and I gag at the fact they still act like horny college students.

"Ok I'm ending this call if you two don't stop."

Hearing bickering on the other end, I get my purse from my bag and get out my debit card before making my way over to the counter to pay.

"Rosie?!"

Hearing my little sister's voice instantly brings a smile to my face. "Hey bug."

"Daddy's in trouble," She sings, and I can't help but laugh. Thanking the cashier and placing my purse and book into my bag, I head out of the bookstore.

"Rosie?" I hear Lucas's voice now too.

"I miss both of you guys." I place my hand to my heart. "I expect tons of cuddles when I come home for Christmas."

"Don't say that. They won't let you go back to Boston," Mom laughs, and I nod knowingly.

"Just like dad didn't when I came back for my first Christmas as a freshman? Aaron had to pry dad off me," I laugh, and mom joins in. "I need to head to the grocery store before I go back to the apartment. Cara and I have been living off noodles for the past few days."

"Oh, the college days. I'll talk to you later, honey. Love you."

Exchanging goodbyes, I make my way back to the car to head to the grocery store.

❈❈❈

Lugging the heavy bags up to the apartment, I unlock the door before pushing it open with my backside before kicking it closed with my foot. Cara's head whips around at the noise from where she lies on her stomach on the floor surrounded by canvases and paint. Octavia sits opposite Cara with a canvas, and a bottle of wine at their feet with the TV playing a cheesy rom-com.

"What's all this?" I set down the grocery bags on the breakfast bar and unpack the food.

"I texted you, remember? Girls' night," Cara gestures to the canvases. Something we do on a regular basis for a girls' night is get some canvases, and rather than actually paint, we flick the paintbrushes to see what it creates.

"I kind of had my hands full with grocery bags to check your message." I lean my hands on the countertop.

Cara raises her eyebrow. "Did you get me my Cheetos?"

"And face your wrath if I didn't, of course I did." I throw her the bag and she happily opens them and starts to eat.

Finishing unpacking the groceries, I pour some wine for myself before going over and joining them. Our girls' nights are not normal ones. Most would venture out onto campus for drinks or stay in with some wine and watch chick flicks. Cara, Octavia, and I, however, with wine in our hands we splash paint from our brushes onto the canvases in front of us.

"Why does this look like a fucked-up vagina?" Tavia tilts her head at her canvas, and I peek my head over to see what she has been working on.

"What vaginas have you been looking at?" Cara shakes her head, laughing as she pours more wine.

"That just shows she's been looking at Isaiah's dick for way too long," I snicker, and Octavia throws her paintbrush at me. "Hey! Leave our apartment alone!"

"You've been spending too much time around the hockey guys, you're getting violent." Cara wrinkles her nose.

"I would look good in hockey pads." Octavia fantasizes and I shove her shoulder before holding my hand out.

"Ok, give me a canvas. Let me show you bitches how to splash paint like a pro."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

𝐀 𝐔 𝐓 𝐇 𝐎 𝐑   𝐍 𝐎 𝐓 𝐄

 Happy update day! I hope you all had a great Christmas/holidays. Hope you enjoyed a little Noah/Ava in the chapter. Another short one I know, which is why I've double updated! 

Q: What are your thoughts on the story so far? 

Q: What are your thoughts on the story so far? 」