Chapter 9 || Been There, Done That

𝐑 𝐎 𝐒 𝐀 𝐋 𝐈 𝐄 ' 𝐒    𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

"Why do we spend time with these two? All they do is act all loved up," Cara mutters as she sits opposite of me on the picnic blanket spread out on the grass in the university's quad.

Cara points over to where Octavia and Isaiah sit on the blanket with us, Tavia in-between his legs, with her back resting against his chest. Octavia shoots a glare her way, but Cara remains unphased as she continues to sketch in her sketchbook. After my morning class, I came to meet up with Cara, Octavia, and Isaiah on the quad, before I have to head over to the arena for the youth hockey group practice.

A few groups have gathered around the grassy area of the quad, laid on blankets with textbooks or food in front of them. A common idea many students have is to get outside but still be able to do their work. My textbooks lay out in front of me, as I lie on my stomach reading over it and making notes.

"Come here, baby." Isaiah places kisses all over Tavia's face as she laughs, and Cara throws a pencil at them.

"Why can't I find anyone who wants the romance and no sex?" Cara questions and I shoot her a look.

"I'm sure Miles would." I slowly voice my opinion, but a scoff leaves Cara's mouth.

"Been there, done that, and look what happened," Cara frowns. Isaiah shifts uncomfortably at the topic of conversation of one of his best friends. After Cara and Miles' rocky break-up in sophomore year, there are unresolved feelings between the two, even if Cara refuses to admit it.

"How's the artwork coming for the exhibition?" Octavia asks Cara, changing the subject as she looks up from her fashion sketches.

Cara sighs. "Well, I have an overall concept for my part of the exhibition. I just need my models to model for me now."

"If you need an extra one." Isaiah points to himself, and Octavia pats his chest.

"Oh babe, no one wants that." Octavia jokes and the three of us burst out laughing.

"What does no one need?" Miles's voice appears, and he collapses down on the picnic blanket in the empty spot next to me. From the corner of my eye, I see Cara roll hers at his entrance.

"Isaiah as a male model," I state, and Isaiah flexes his muscles to prove he could be a good one. "Octavia said no one wants that."

"Would it make you feel better if I put whatever you model for up in my bedroom like a true friend?" Miles asks Isaiah, who flips him off.

"Where's Rome?" Isaiah curiously asks as his eyes flicker to the surroundings, looking for their third friend.

"Heading to the arena to teach the youth hockey team. How's that going anyway?" Miles turns his head to me as I sit up and pack my things away.

"You haven't been to his funeral yet, have you?" I raise my eyebrow and they shake their heads.

"I thought practice is usually on Saturdays in the morning?" Cara wonders, knowing that has been my schedule.

Octavia's brows furrow. "Oh, yeah."

"Higher ups had an emergency meeting at the weekend. So they moved the date of the practice for that week, and the time so it's after school for the kids," Isaiah explains as I nod my head.

"I should get going. I could let Roman set up himself, but I don't feel like dealing with any lectures that will give me a headache today." I stand up and place my bag over my shoulder.

"Huh? He said the same about you. This is getting crazily creepy," Miles mutters, and I chuckle before waving goodbye. Making my way across campus, as I get to the arena, I pass some players who must have been there for the gym or to skate. Pushing the doors open, I walk inside and my eyes lock onto Roman and the Coach talking.

"Ah, Miss Jackson. I was just coming to see how you two are getting along. No complaints from any parents yet, so that's a good sign," Coach grumbles with his arms crossed as I make my way over.

"It's been fine. Although I'm not much help considering I can't skate or play hockey," I chuckle, placing my bag down on the bleachers.

"I'm sure you're taking some of the weight off Roman with the kids. Now don't forget to collect the slips today for the away game," Coach explains before he turns to walk away.

"Away game?" I shriek and Coach turns back.

"Did Roman not tell you?" Coach looks over to Roman, who puts a fake innocent look on his face.

Roman shrugs. "Must have slipped my mind."

My jaw clenches. Slipped his mind my ass. Clearly, Coach has the same thought. "I'm sure. The youth hockey team has an away game this weekend, it's only two hours away but we collect slips for each kid. Don't forget to fill her in this time, King."

After Coach finishes his explanation, he heads off, and I scowl over to Roman, who has a smirk playing on his lips. "So, when were you going to tell me?"

"I was just going to text you the morning of the game," Roman taunts, and it takes all my willpower to not strangle him.

"What if I was busy?" I throw my hands up into the air.

Roman raises his eyebrow. "Are you?"

I purse my lips. "Well no. But I could have been. So, where are we going?"

"We don't do away games much. We tend to stick to the area and the other youth teams here, but once every so often we do an away game because it excites the kids. It's only two hours away," Roman explains as he sits down to lace up his skates. "The kids and their parents go up on a coach the university provides for them, and I usually drive separately."

"Why?" I raise my eyebrow, confused.

"With the kids' gear they all have, and the extra room taken by the parents, I use my truck to bring up extra supplies. Gear in case there's an issue, water for the kids, stuff like that," Roman shrugs before he stands up and hands me the clipboard. "You can be mad at me later. We have to set up."

❈❈❈

"Did you get all the slips?"

"Yes."

"And made sure they're filled in correctly?"

"Yes."

"You're not even listening now."

Looking up from where I sit on the bleachers texting Cara, Roman stands in front of me with his hands on his hips. A scowl decorates his face and his eyes narrow on me, showing his annoyance with me.

I sigh. "I know what I'm doing."

Picking up the clipboard and handing it to him, with that parting comment, I stand up and gather my things.

"Be at the hockey house for lunch tomorrow," Roman states, and I look at him with my eyebrows furrowed.

"Why?"

He smirks and I already do not have a good feeling about this. "It's time you learn how to skate."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

𝐀 𝐔 𝐓 𝐇 𝐎 𝐑   𝐍 𝐎 𝐓 𝐄

 Two smaller chapters which is why I double updated. The next chapter will be longer and it will be Roman teaching Rosalie how to skate.

Q: do you think she'll be a good skater? 

Q: do you think she'll be a good skater? 」