Chapter Twelve

I gingerly touch the edges of my mouth. Yup, definitely salivating.

Brandon stretches his arms, flexing his strong muscles. I can see the toned abs and fine dusting of hair from his navel to his boxers. The moonlight glints off his dark hair, and his drop dead gorgeous eyes practically shine. After all, he's in his element; the night.

He's literally in nothing except black boxers as he jogs to the water and jumps in. After two minutes Brandon comes back up, dripping wet and throws me a wry grin before swimming away.

I swear my tongue is lolling out. How is he so hot? It should be a federal crime to look that good.

Tara chuckles next to me and closes my open jaw. Skye smiles up at me and I grin. The boys had immediately taken a liking to her. In fact, I was most surprised when even Julian smiled at her. Skye adores him a lot too. I can't wait to see how their friendship unfolds.

Right now, Kieran and Julian are sleeping, Kier cuddled up next to him. Julian is taller and bulkier so he's the big spoon. Even Skye loves their relationship and can't stop gushing.

She pokes my arm. "They are so cute." She points at said couple. I nod and smirk. "Shall we plan their wedding?"

"Yes, yes, yes!" Skye squeals and giggles. Tara's hands are wrapped around the little girl. For the past hour, she hasn't left Tara's side at all. She looks up at the older girl and pouts. "Can I be their flower girl?"

With a soft sigh, Tara leans back. "It's not my wedding, babe. You'll have to ask them when they wake up."

"I will." Skye says determinedly and Tara giggles, kissing her cheek.

Even though I already love spending time with them, I want to go behind Brandon and clear things out. It has been awkward since our talk outside the restaurant and I can't stand the tension.

A part of me has given up on things moving forward with him. He's a vampire, I'm human and on top of that he will live forever and one day he'll forget me. The thought itself twists my gut. I can't act like a child though. It's time to put on my big girl panties and approach this situation like the adult I am.

Standing up, I wave to the girls and Tara rolls her eyes. I bet you all my money(not that there's a lot of it) she knows what I'm about to do. I stick my tongue at her and she winks back. I walk to the edge of the water and wait for him to be done with his swim.

There are a few stars above me, and a gentle breeze ruffles my open hair. I'm in my pajamas again and I curl my toes in the soft sand, relishing in the feel. Closing my eyes, I tip my head back and smile. We're going back to Texas tomorrow, I'm going to make the most of tonight.

Someone taps my shoulder and I gasp, opening my eyes. Brandon stands awkwardly in front of me. Slowly he relaxes his position and fakes a cocky grin. "So, have you finally come to confess your undying love for me?"

Rolling my eyes, I look away. He should know I can see right through his act.

He huffs. "This is why I lied to you on our date. This is exactly what I knew was going to happen. The whole empty gulf between the natural and supernatural is not the reason I predicted this. It's you. You let it get to your head. Why can't you fucking try?" Brandon's voice rises with each sentence and I resist the urge to flinch.

"It's not about me trying. I don't want to be with someone who is going to live forever and forget about me."

"Who said anything about forgetting you?"

Brandon is all up in my face, smelling like salty water and blood. He's close enough that I can see the green flecks in his eyes, his lips right in front of my forehead. He's so tall that I have to always look up to talk to him. I hate it.